World is a Fiction

Vous aimez lire ou écrire des fanfictions sur des séries, des films ou autres? Ce forum est pour vous ^^

AccueilAccueil  CalendrierCalendrier  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez | 

Les couples

AuteurMessage
a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Les couples   Dim 24 Sep - 11:56

+ Ned/Catelyn+

+ Daenerys/Drogo +

+ Ygritte/Jon +

+ Cersei/Jaime +

“Woman? Is that meant to insult me? I would return the slap, if I took you for a man.” ~ Daenerys Targaryen
You're a lot smarter than you look. Of course, you look like a retard ~ Cordelia Chase
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://cangelbestlovers.positifforum.com/
a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Dim 24 Sep - 12:12

+ Daenerys/Daario +

+ Tyrion/Shae +

+ Jon/Daenerys +

+ Missandei/Grey Worm +

“Woman? Is that meant to insult me? I would return the slap, if I took you for a man.” ~ Daenerys Targaryen
You're a lot smarter than you look. Of course, you look like a retard ~ Cordelia Chase
a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Dim 24 Sep - 12:15

Intéressant:

Every Clue That Jon and Daenerys Are Destined to Be Together on Game of Thrones

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 13 Oct - 11:08

Awwww, avec le recul, le foresshadowing n'est même pas subtil:

Les boxsets des DVD des saisons 1, 3, 4, 5 et 6 :

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Sam 21 Oct - 21:46

Héhéhé, c'est peut-être du trolling (Kit est connu pour raconter n'importe quoi et son contraire entre 2 saisons de GoT), mais quand même:

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 27 Oct - 16:53

Awww, so true:

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Dim 12 Nov - 9:34

J'aime ce montage, ça montre un beau parallèle symbolique:

Citation :
rosegoldlannister:

Both the Lannisters and Daenerys would be Lancaster though Daenerys would be of the Tudor branch.

Daenerys would be Henry Tudor (exiled royalty living across the sea growing an army to take back the throne).

Jon would be Elizabeth of York. Marries Henry Tudor which ends the War of the Roses and is of the York family.

Cersei would be Margaret of Anjou (married for political alliance, known to be cruel, had horrible violent sons who died at a young age, rumors of her son being illegitimate, didn't like the King's close friend York/Stark, ruled the country when their husbands couldn't) Also, Margaret was a Lancaster and Cersei is a Lannister

Robb Stark is King Edward IV. Had military success yet made the foolish mistake of marrying for love instead of his arranged marriage which made his ally Warwick/Frey abandon him to ally with the Lancasters/Lannisters

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 8 Déc - 19:13

Héhé, GoT se retrouve dans la liste des scènes les plus sexy de 2017 de TVline pour 2 couples:

Spoiler:

source

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Dim 10 Déc - 18:45

J'arrive pas à croire que je n'ai pas posté ce qu'a dit Alan Taylor, le réalisateur du 7x06, Beyond the Wall, sur Jonerys:

Citation :

DEADLINE: With over 10 million viewers watching the 9 PM broadcast and growing each week, plus all those on the other platforms, I think it’s pretty clear they are going to stick around, if for nothing else to see what brews up between Jon and Dany…
  ALAN TAYLOR: (Laughs) There’s been an inevitability to the two of them coming together. It’s been foreshadowed over and over again, and those who know the books know it’s inevitable, but that doesn’t tell you anything about how it’s going to play out or how it’s going to go. I remember when I was doing Season 1 and we were on location in Malta, and George R. R. Martin came to visit. He was sitting in a chair, and he was being really quite open about things that were to come…

DEADLINE: About Jon and Dany or Game of Thrones in general?
   ALAN TAYLOR: Bit of both, but it was early days and nobody was paying attention to the show. We didn’t really know what a phenomenon it was going to be, and I think he was being less guarded than we’ve become since then. Anyways, he alluded to the fact that Jon and Dany were the point, kind of. That, at the time, there was a huge, vast array of characters, and Jon was a lowly, you know, bastard son. So it wasn’t clear to us at the time, but he did sort of say things that made it clear that the meeting and the convergence of Jon and Dany were sort of the point of the series.

So, I was happy that a big step forward was taken in the episode I got to do this season is where he has fallen for her both, you know, emotionally and politically I think. He recognizes what she’s capable of, and is ready to bend the knee as soon as his knees bend. There’s still a step further to go with them in terms of the romantic side of things and a lot more to play out in terms of how the politics and the power struggle will work, but it was at least a sort of solid step forward in that major arc.

source

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Lun 25 Déc - 12:05

Une chouette info, qui n'est peut-être juste qu'une coïncidence, mais qui n'en reste pas moins awesome:

En saison 1, Dany apprend qu'elle est enceinte dans le 1x03. Le nom de l'épisode? "Lord Snow"

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 2 Fév - 18:41

Game of Thrones - Why Jon & Daenerys Fell In Love (Season 7 Review/Analysis)

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Dim 25 Fév - 17:02

C'est peut-être juste une coïncidence, mais la nouvelle bague de Dany, en saison 7 peut être vue de 2 façons: soit des feuilles (ou quoi que ça puissent être... des écailles de dragon?) qui s'entremêlent... soit le prénom de Jon ^^

I love these tiny details ^^

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 24 Aoû - 19:46

Un superbe meta sur Jonerys que j'ai trouvé ICI:

Citation :

Jon & Dany - Mirroring journeys leading to each other

We’ve seen a lot of visual parallels of these two through all the brilliant gifsets the gifmakers of this fandom create. @officerparker asked me to take the show apart with a scalpel in terms of these two as characters & honestly as a writer trying to learn the craft, this was a very educational exercise. This Mother of Metas, a Jonerys thesis if you must, is entirely based on show canon.

Scratching the surface - Stark/Targaryen contrast

Looking at these two at surface level, they might seem like polar opposites. Jon lives by the Stark stoicism, a house whose motto is ‘Winter is Coming’ instead of something personal. It symbolises their disinterest in political games and laser sharp focus towards the danger that lurks north of the wall. For winter hits them first, their strength lies in protecting the realm from what lurks beyond the wall. They have never fared well politically in games of southerners, so they distance themselves from it to focus on what really matters. Joining the Night’s Watch only amplified and cemented this in Jon’s character, as focus on the threats beyond the wall & aversion from politics is the foundation of the brotherhood.

Dany is a Targaryen. ‘Fire and Blood’ both nurturing life sources when contained but devastating when unleashed. She too is kind, nurturing and protective but she doesn’t shy away from violence against wrong doers. Targaryens don’t fare well diplomatically either but with godlike power of dragons and fire magic, the Dragons unapologetically make their way to the top of the food chain. The first Targaryen conquest led to the creation of the Iron Throne, which all the other houses are fighting over with politics ever since the Targaryen dynasty ended. The second conquest could again change the game and setup a new system, which Dany very much intends to do, to break the wheel that tramples the common people. They don’t play the game, they create and dominate it with great power which drives some in the dynasty to greatness and some to madness.

Despite house values that are reactive vs proactive and avoiding the game vs dominating the game, both are more tied with mysticism and a greater purpose, rather than games of mere mortals. Underneath this outer shell of contrast, these two characters are so similar, they are almost mirrors of each other, something their arcs strongly signifies.

Character Backstory

Birth : Jon and Dany are both orphans born in a chaotic environment. The death of their fathers put an end to Targaryen dynasty’s reign and their mothers died at childbirth.

• Dany was born at Dragonstone during a storm, the night of a naval battle which destroyed the Targaryen fleet.
  • Jon was born as a Ned fought the guards outside the Tower of Joy in Dorne.

• Dany was shipped off to Essos for her safety soon after her birth.
  • Ned Stark took him back to Winterfell as his bastard to protect his life and uphold his promise to his dying sister.

Upbringing : Their childhood issues parallel in terms of not belonging, toxic relationship with a parental figure and a crisis of identity.

1. A sense of belonging to a home/family : Dany grew up on the run like a fugitive, escaping cities in the nick of time from assassins. She grew up without a home or a stable family other than Viserys. She had no long term friends or formal education as a child.    

Jon grew up a bastard, an unwanted outcast with front row seats to the perfect family he would never be a part of. Him getting drunk outside, as the family feasted during Robert’s visit in the pilot is a good indicator of how much worse would the exclusion must have felt when he was a child.

2. Toxic parental figure : Dany had only Viserys to call family and he was quite obviously physically, emotionally and psychologically abusive, with undertones of sexual abuse as well. He treated her like his property rather than a person. Yet she had the same kind of toxic combination of fear and love for him that children of abusive parents have at a younger age before they grow up and realise that there is more to human relationships than being abused.

Jon craved motherly love his entire life. Despite being an outcast, he had strong sibling bonds & a decent relationship with his father but he was completely ignored and despised by Catelyn and he ws unaware of who his biological mother was or why she didn’t want him either.

3. Identity crisis

Viserys raised Dany with a very distorted view of what it means to be a Targaryen based on his distorted childhood memories and who he was as a person. Good example of this would be Dany only knew Rhaegal of a one dimensional warrior and was surprised to find out that he hated fighting and loved music. Her warmth was discouraged and looked down upon as weakness and Viserys repeatedly used the word Dragon when he is hurting/dominating her.  Her identity crisis comes from being exposed to only the madness side of the Targaryen coin through Viserys and stories of her father. She had to discover the greatness on her own.

Jon’s greatest mystery is not knowing a key piece of himself, his mother, who was the reason for denial of maternal love and his exclusion from the Stark family. Ironically as we now know his mother was Lyanna Stark & he would have found a place in the Stark family if his fraternal Targaryen roots didn’t threaten his life. Jon once said he wanted nothing more but to be a Stark his entire childhood. Tyrion’s advise on embracing his identity and wearing it like a badge of honour instead of being ashamed of it played a huge role in Jon coming into his own. He no longer wishes to be a Stark, he is Jon Snow. There is a key piece of his identity and heritage he needs to discover and allow the Targaryen in him to grow. But he has accepted himself as Jon Snow enough to not start calling himself a Targaryen either.

Inciting incident for the story

The plot begins with death of Jon Arryn, Hand of the King & Lord of Vale. He was Ned and Robert’s father figure. His wife Lysa poisoned him on her childhood crush, little finger’s request. Lysa sent Catlyn Stark a letter stating that she fled to Vale and the Lannisters poison her husband, to create the rift between Starks and Lannisters. This was something Little finger had been plotting his entire life and as he finally sets his plan to destabilise the kingdom in motion, the plot begins with Robert travelling north to ask Ned to be his Hand.

Jon and Dany are introduced as meek and reactive minor characters in a world where House Targaryen, Dragons and magic has disappeared. Both of them are being pushed further away from the central plot with Jon joining the Night’s watch and Dany betrothed to Khal drogo.

Introduction of Character Goals: Magic is so nonexistent that the sighting of white walkers was brushed off by Ned, which would end up being the central motivation for Jon Snow’s character.

• It starts with Jon being shunned by Catelyn Stark from a ceremony - Robert’s feast - He gets the advice to embrace the fact that he is a bastard from Tyrion and also meets his uncle Benjin, a brother of the Night’s watch.
  • Jon was in some control of his destiny, as he proactively chose to embark on his hero’s journey by pleading his uncle Benjin’s to make him a member of the Night’s watch.  
  • He had no better options as a bastard, but he embraced his character goal, to guard the realm from what lies beyond the wall because winter was coming.
  • This small and innocent desire was the seed to his mission against white walkers once he witnessed magic.

In an attempt to put a Targaryen on the throne once again, Varys’ friend and spy network partner Illyrio Mopatis, the merchant housing the Targaryen siblings’s arranges Dany’s marriage to Khal Drogo to help the Viserys acquire an army.

• Dany is launched off into her storyline by being forced into a ceremony she didn’t want to be part of - her marriage to Khal Drogo for the fulfilment of her brother’s goals of getting an army.
  • She had such little control over her life, she is introduced as a character being stripped naked by her brother in her very first scene and it takes all of season 1 for her to find free will.
  • Her little plea to her brother “I want to go home” is dismissed with their need for an army & ships to return to Westeros and take the Iron Throne by force.
  • Her naive desire to go back home ends up being the seed for her character goals to provocatively embark upon her journey to become a Queen who fights for free will.

Meeting their animal symbolism

• Varys’ friend Illyrio Mopatis, gifts Dany three dragon eggs at her wedding.
  • Jon talks Ned into sparing the loves of the Direwolf pups they found next to a dead direwolf mother. As he walks away, he finds an albino pup who Theon calls ‘Runt of the litter’. Jon adopts Ghost.
  • Key difference here as well is how reactive vs proactive these adoptions were and the fact that Dany’s Dragons weren’t born but given to her as eggs to be hatched when she comes into her own as a Dragon as well.
  • Personally I loved the fact that Dany first picks up the green egg, the one Rhaegal hatched from, her dragon named after Jon’s father and the one I assume Jon would ride one day. Also Jon got the silver haired pup, just like Dany’s hair in the books.

Key differences in Characterisation: These two have parallels but by no means am I stating that they are same on every level. Both of them are beautifully unique, with similarities and differences. They have character contrasts in their story parallels and character parallels in their contrasting storylines. One of the reasons why Dany’s monologue, when these two meet is so powerful, because their stories began at very different places and it had a huge impact on how they grew.

• Dany had an unstable and abusive childhood, Jon was an outcast in the perfect family as a bastard.
  • She was more privileged and was a Queen in some capacity since the beginning but was treated like a trophy. He had a lower stature in his family and the Night’s Watch at first but he had free will, except S03.
  • Dany starts out in a powerless, battered, controlled and reactive damsel in distress mould. Jon starts out as every hopeful and naive proactive fantasy genre hero, though the story does a great job at keeping it subtle and presenting him as a minor character.
  • It would take a season for Dany to find free will and to take charge of her story. Jon had that freedom and was driving his story from the start.
  • Dany had absolutely no support system. Jon had Ned, Robb, Arya and Bran who loved him dearly.
  • The episode ends with Jon finding an honourable purpose in life and Dany getting raped and pushed to the very extreme of her life as a victim.

All these differences are a big factor in why these two grew so differently at a surface level. Jon is a hesitant leader because he started hopeful, naive and a little arrogant, which changed after all the horrible things he went through. Dany is an ambitious and dominating leader because she knows what being powerless is and she would never revisit that place or let anyone else live in shackles if she can make a difference. Comparing them at surface level is futile and destroys the entire point of the story, so lets dive in deep!

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 24 Aoû - 20:04

Citation :
Season 1  :  Struggling to find a place in their new world - Watcher on the walls & Khalessi

This season starts with a Jon making his way to the Wall - the physical metaphor for the threshold between the known world from the unknown, a transition common for the archetype of a hero in the fantasy genre & Dany travelling with her Khalsar, struggling to adapt to her new life.

Foreshadowing scene transition: Dany is staring at her dragon eggs surrounded by candles & crying as Drogo rapes her and it cuts straight to Jon staring at the campfire on his way to the Wall, with Ghost sitting beside him. Tyrion was also travelling with them & informs Jon that the new recruits who joined them are rapers. This serves as the first example for his glorified image of the Night’s watch to shatter.

Goals this season

• Jon wants to become a ranger like his Uncle Benjin
  • Dany wants to hatch the dragon eggs to escape her powerless existence and she also wants to return to Westeros

Beginning

• Jon, a naive and skilled fighter joins the Night’s watch, only to realise that it’s not an honourable ancient military order but a group of misfits and criminals.
  • Dany, a battered girl, becomes Khalessi against her will, only to realise that they aren’t as barbaric as she first assumed them to be.

• Jon starts out as a very angsty & arrogant character. He says “I’m better than all of you,” frequently to other brothers of the night’s watch, shows off his fighting skills to make others feel worse and protests not getting assigned to the rangers because he deserves it most.
  • Dany starts out not believing that she is the Dragon instead of her brother and she has little to no faith in herself at this point.

• Following Uncle Benjin’s advice “A man gets what he earns when he earns it”  Jon starts training his brothers and tries to make the best of his situation instead of arrogantly making demands.
  • Dany starts learning how to cope in her marriage, trying to make the best of her situation and starts getting more comfortable in her role as Khalessi, by learning their language, dressing like Dothraki and understanding their culture.

Journey : Characters guiding them through their arcs

Guides - Mormonts: They both have Momonts guiding them on their journey. Jorah helping Dany learn about the Dothraki and Westeros. Jeor, his father, the lord commander of the Night’s watch takes Jon under his wing to groom him as his successor.

• In the episode “You win or you die” a wine seller tries to poison Dany due to Jorah’s betrayal but Jorah decides to save her instead and stop spying on her, switching from a spy to a true supporter.
  • In the same episode the very next scene is Jon being selected as commander Mormont’s steward, something he first views as a betrayal because he always dreamt of becoming a ranger. He believes he deserves it more than any other recruit. By the end of the episode he understood Jeor’s reasons and came into his service.

Catalyst- Viserys/Benjin :

• Jon joined the night’s watch for his admiration of Benjin and Dany was forced into her Khalsar because of Viserys’ ambition and in a way Viserys was the one who planted the seed of taking back the Iron Throne in Dany’s mind.
  • The episode Benjin leaves for the mission beyond the wall he never returns from was the same episode Viserys died at Khal Drogo’s hands.
  • It’s interesting to note that the dragon named after Viserys, Viserion and wight Benjin die in the same episode as well at the battle at Eastwatch by the sea. Viserion is raised as a wight dragon in the end, as Jon and Dany’s goals align.

Friend - Doreah/Sam

They both make friends quickly in their new environment, Jon with his brothers and Dany with her handmaidens.

• Jon takes a stance against bullying when he meets Sam and soon becomes a protective friend and starts gaining better understanding and empathy for his brothers who aren’t skilled fighters as him.
  • Dany subtly starts expressing distaste for slavery as she befriends the slaves in her Khalsar, specifically Doreah, Dany’s hand maiden and her brother’s sex slave who was sold to a pleasure house as a child. She helps Dany gain the skills to cope in her marriage, gain a better hold over Drogo and assimilate in the Dothraki community.

• Jon & Sam’s friendship had level of intimacy where they could discuss their lack of sex lives freely, have locker room talks and were constantly teased with jokes about being in love by others in the Night’s watch.
  • Dany & Doreah had a much more intimate relationship since Doreah teaches Dany the ways of pleasing a man. It was heartbreaking that  Doreah backstabs Dany unlike Sam who is still Jon’s best friend.

Leaders to be replaced - Alliser Thorne/Drogo :

• Ser Alliser is the best swordsman and leader at the Night’s watch until Jon arrives. We now know that Jon soon rises above him in rank as the Lord Commander and becomes their best swordsman as soon as he arrives.
  • Drogo was one of the best Khals the Dothraki had seen, but as we know now, no one has led a Khalsar as big as Deanerys and led them into a battle on another continent.

• Jon despises Alliser, who is in charge of training the new recruits, for discriminating against him and  Alliser hates him for his arrogance.
  • Dany is just terrified of Drogo in the very beginning and is barely surviving in her marriage.

• Despite their differences Jon does learn a lot about leadership from Alliser but as we all know, Alliser plots to kill Jon after a long standing rocky relationship
  • Dany on the other hand, falls in love with Drogo as the season progresses, gets pregnant with his child and learns the way of the Dothraki because of him. With that new found partnership, she grows strong and comes into her own as a leader like she never had in her life.

• Both leaders die at the hands of Jon and Dany respectively and contribute to their character rebirth in some way.

Climax

In the episode Jon wants to be ranger to find his Uncle Benjin who went missing and is denied the opportunity, Dany too tries to talk Drogo into fighting for the Iron Throne, which he denies because a Khal doesn’t need an iron chair, only a horse to sit. By the end of this episode Jon takes his oath as a pledged brother of the Night’s watch with Sam at the wierwood tree beyond the wall & Khal Drogo promised Dany to conquer Westeros and give their son the Iron throne after the attempt on her life.

Introduction to the world of magic:

His first trip beyond the wall, the metaphorical barrier between the ordinary world and ice related magic, to take his vows, Ghost finds a severed hand in the woods and Jon returns to the wall with a dead body which will turn out to be wight. That night Ghost leads Jon to Commander Mormont’s chambers where the wight rises from the dead and attacks them. Jon fights him off with fire, in turn burning his hand. Commander Mormont gives him his family’s Valarian Steel sword Longclaw, replacing the bear at the hilt to a white wolf.

As soon as her goal to return to Westeros starts becoming a reality, Dany is disheartened by the village raid that the Dothraki initiated in order to sell captives into slavery for the money a war on Westeros would require. She saves and brings back a witch who offers to heal Drogo’s wound.

Death of a loved one:

Jon receives the news about Ned from Commander Mormont and he flees the Night’s watch that very night to join Rob in the rebellion but he is talked out of it by his friends who bring him back that night before someone learns of his desertion. Maester Aemon later reveals that he is Aemon Targaryen and he too had to make a similar choice for duty when his family was destroyed. Not only is Jon humbled by this as a character but he learns a lesson about choosing his battles, that sometimes forsaking your heart’s desires is the right thing to do.

Dany on the other hand, against all counsel to not trust the witch who got Drogo sick, bargains for Drogo’s life and \the witch uses that desperation to propose a blood magic ritual to save Drogo’s life. Dany assumes the life of his horse would buy Drogo’s life but by the end of the ritual she loses Drogo, her unborn child, her ability to ever bear children and most of the Khalsar. The Ice vs Fire, stoicism vs passion was strong in these reactions.

Transformation:

The season ends with Commander Mormont leading a mission beyond the wall to find Benjin Stark, figure out why the wildlings are forming an army and understand the mystery of undead wights. He takes Jon along with him as a ranger on their mission beyond the wall accomplishing his character goal. This scene cuts straight to Dany.

Dany tries to convince the remaining members of the Khalsar to stay and follow her. Since the Dothroki follow only strength, she straps the witch to Drogo’s funeral pyre, places the dragon eggs next to Drogo and steps in as well, wearing her wedding dress. It wasn’t a suicide attempt like many believe it to be, when Jorah tries to stop her with that assumption, she says “You don’t understand.” In the show canon, she’s immune to fire and she knows Targaryens who are Dragons can’t be killed by fire (“Fire cannot kill a dragon,” when Viserys dies). When her handmaiden burns her hand by snatching the hot egg Dany was unaffected by, she realised that she might be a dragon. Next season she tells the Spice King “I dreamt that if I carried those eggs into a great fire, they would hatch.” So walking into that fire was Dany taking a leap of faith, in no one but herself, finally embracing the fact fact that she is the last dragon.  She rises from ashes like a phoenix next morning, her character reborn  along with the birth of her three baby dragons, earning her titles of Mother of Dragons and The Unburnt.

That is why it is powerful that when Dany introduces herself to Jon, she tells him that the only thing that kept her going was nothing but faith in herself because that’s how she finally reclaimed her life.

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 24 Aoû - 20:20

Citation :
Season 2 - Venturing into the unknown & letting go of naivety - Shield that guards the realms of men & Mother of Dragons

This season these two venture out into a harsh and cruel world, Jon beyond the wall and Dany into a desert - the red waste. They both got what they wanted, Dany gets control over her destiny, three dragons and people to lead and Jon gets to be a ranger. But things don’t work out so well for these naive souls. They are faced with moral conundrums, exposed to grey areas, face deception, are taken advantage of and even get captured but in the end they both learn the same lesson for leadership - scepticism, shrewdness and the art of deception.

Foreshadowing scene transition : Dany’s Khalsar is staving, as she leads them through the red waste because the Khalsars in the great grass sea they left behind would kill her and take her dragons. She loses faith in her capabilities as a leader when Jorah Mormont reminds her of the lesson she learnt last season with the Dothraki, that a leader must be strong. Dany finds her strength and sends her riders to explore the unknown ends of the desert for a destination.

She looks up at the red comet in the sky and the scene switches to Jon Snow reaching Craster’s keep where he acts defiant and judgemental of Craster and challenges his authority. Commander Joer Mormont later backs Jon into a corner, reminds him of his position, asks him if he wants to lead someday and when Jon nods, he says “Then first, you must learn to follow.” The scene switches to red star in the sky and finally to Dragonstone where Melisandre has Stannis convinced that he is the one chosen by the lord of light.

The foreshadowing was so strong and ironic, now that we know that Jon and Dany would meet at dragonstone as fully formed leaders thanks to Melisandre who realises that it is the two of them who were her lord’s chosen.

Goals:

• Jon wants to unravel the mysteries beyond the wall and embraces the fact that one day he wishes to lead as the Lord Commander.
  • Dany wants to get her people to safety and later, she finally vocalises that the Iron Throne is her right and she will take it with fire and blood.

Beginning

• Dany starts out hopeless as her people are starving and one of their horses returned with the Dothraki rider’s severed head in a sack but she holds onto her curiosity about another way out for them.
  • Jon struggles with the curiosity about what Craster does to his sons after they are born, even refusing Gilly help when she doesn’t tell him why she is afraid for her unborn child if it is a son.

• Qarth extends an invitation to the Mother of Dragons but Dany refuses to show them her dragons at the gates as they are newborns and aren’t intimidating at all. Also she’s an overprotective new mother against an entire world that wants to take away her children from her.
  • Jon follows Craster into the woods at night as he gives away his baby boy to the White Walkers, a revelation that shocks him to the core and gets him assaulted by Craster when he catches Jon lurking. Next morning, Jon has a hard time dealing with the moral conundrum of Commander Jeor knowing the cruel fates of these babies and doing nothing.

• Dany fails to tactfully negotiate with ‘The 13′ to grant them entry to Qarth. She tries reasoning, bargaining, appealing to etiquette for guests and goes as far as to intimidate but since she put all her cards on the table and showed her unimpressive hand, they deny her entry until Xaro, the richest man in the city vouches for her.
  • Jon and company are kicked out from Craster’s keep and they leave for the Fist of the first men. Jon leaves this place with dilemma as his black and white principles of allies & foes, right & wrong and which battles to fight & which to avoid, are blurred.

Journey : Beyond the wall & in Qarth

Their character growth begins this season when Jon reaches Fist of the first men wondering why the first men would retreat to such a high mountain peak, what were they escaping from. Dany settles in the quarters Xaro assigns them, distrustful of her host because the last time a rich man provided her roof and gave her an expensive dress, she was sold off to Khal Drogo.

Antagonistic Teacher: Dany is received into this storyline by the Spice King who refuses to welcome her into the city, refuses to give her ships when she demands it offering three times in return when she takes the Iron throne back and in the end refuses to help her find her dragons in the meeting of the 13 when they go missing, even though he didn’t know where they were. It teaches Dany one half of the lesson this season that if she puts all her cards on the table, honestly discloses her dreams to sceptics and asks them for help without shrewd tactics, then she would be called “A little princess” and dismissed like he does.

Jon has that with Qhorin Halfhand, Night watch’s best ranger who receives them at fist of first men and leads Jon into wildling territory so that they can find wildlings and gather intel on why Mance Rayder is forming an army. Halfhand quickly breaks it to Jon that there is no honour in gladly giving his life here, no lords would know a bastard who died protecting them beyond the wall so he should claw for his life and put his survival above else. Jon disagrees when Halfhand says that “Wild things cannot be tamed” about his direwolf Ghost and as we now know, Jon does end up commanding the army of wildlings. End of season Halfhand is the one who pushes him into infiltrating the wildling army, the thing that teaches him the art of deception and shrewdness.

Declarations:

Jon to Ygritte: “My father was Ned Stark, I have the blood of the first men. My ancestors lived here same as yours.”

Dany to Spice King : “I am Deanerys Stormborn of the blood of old Valaria and I will take what is mine with fire and blood.”

Unwanted advances from condescending & more experienced people:

Xaro shows Dany his unbreakable vault, offers her half of the undisclosed treasures inside and proposes her for marriage. He informs her about the war of five kings between Lannisters, Starks and Baratheons and advises her to quickly get ships with his money and sieze the opportunity when Westeros is destabilised. It is also brought to Dany’s notice by Xaro, that Jorah is in love with her. Jorah advises her not to trust Xaro and tells her to be patient. He promises to find her a ship which is all she needs because her potential allies are in Westeros, not here. Both men are courting Dany by fulfilling her desire for ships.

Jon meets Ygritte when Halfhand’s team of rangers attacks a group of wildlings. Jon tries to save her for questioning but after refusal, he volunteers to behead her. They consider the warning for burning the dead a ploy to send a smoke signal and refuse but Jon’s curiosity is sparked. Ygritte runs off when Jon fails to execute her, leading him away from his men at sunset. After recapturing her, Jon has to stay the night with her and so the unwanted advances begin to seduce him with sex.

• Jorah and Xaro’s contradictory advises puts Dany in a moral dilemma about the pursuit of her goals and plants seeds of doubt in her mind about both of their intentions. She asks “Who are my people?”[/b] She only knew one Targaryen, her brother who sold her off. She’s unsure if she’s one of the Dothraki and she says that she’s not stupid enough like her brother to belive that the people of Westeros pray for her return either. She tells Jorah she trusts no one anymore.
  • Jon has his beliefs about wildlings questioned when he gets into an argument with Ygritte who tells him that he’s not free but shackled by the vows of Night’s watch and that it is unfair that they built a wall, claimed the North and started hunting wildlings.

• Both Jorah and Xaro often talk down to Dany this season when they tell her what she should and shouldn’t do by weighing their life experience and wisdom against hers. Dany tells Jorah “Do not speak to me like I’m a child” and Xaro “I don’t care where you’ve been,” when he tries to calm her down after her dragons are stolen by sharing his life experience.
  • Jon is negged by Ygritte who figures out he’s a virgin and mocks him for it, saying her famous “You know nothing Jon Snow” line for the first time when he discloses that he’s not that unaware about sex.

• Dany gently lets Jorah down and repeatedly rejects all of Xaro’s advances.
  • At one point, Ygritte comes on so strong sexually at Jon that he clutches his sword, this & the dry humping the previous night would be considered terrifying if the genders were reversed. This in a way parallels with how Dany and Drogo’s relationship started, though it was way worse for Dany.

• Dany walks into her house to find her people slaughtered and her dragons missing which Xaro denies having any part in but he orchestrated the whole thing with the warlock from House of Undying who stole her dragons in exchange for helping Xaro become the King of Qarth by killing The 13 during Dany’s meeting with them which Xaro sets up. Dany thought she had Doreah, her handmaiden, spying on Xaro for her but Xaro was the one playing Dany all along.
  • Ygritte knows that he doesn’t know his way around wildling territory and can’t get back to his camp. During their banter she lures him to into a trap even though Jon assumes that he is the one in control & she’s his prisoner. When Jon is distracted after Ygritte‘s advances, she manages to escape and Jon finds himself surrounded by wildlings.

[b]Climax

Jon’s capture :

• After being captured by the wildlings, Jon meets Halfhand again who blames him for their capture due to his inability to kill Ygritte and chasing her because all the men who went after Jon were killed by Wildlings.
  • Ygritte repays her debt by convincing the wildlings not to kill Jon either since he’s Ned Stark’s bastard and Mance Rayder would want him alive.
  • Halfhand whispers to Jon that according to his intel Mance is planning on marching to the wall and one man on the inside is worth thousands on the wall, he urges Jon to become that spy since Mance would surely kill Halfhand for revenge for his previous missions.

Dany’s capture :

• Jorah tries to convince Dany to leave for Astapor on the ship he was able to procure instead of walking into the trap at the house of undying since she didn’t grow her dragons in her womb and they weren’t her children.
  • This was the first time Dany says that they are the only children she will ever have and she is indeed their mother. Once again she put her faith in her own magic above the magic of the warlock and leaves for the rescue.
  • She goes to the house of undying and ends up getting captured as well because the warlock’s magic grew stronger in the presence of her dragons and the dragons grow strong in hers so he planned to keep her chained there for eternity.

The house of undying : Dany has a vision of the throne room which was in in ruins and engulfed in snow and just as she walks upto the Iron Throne, she hears her dragons scream and leaves to find herself beyond the wall where she sees her dead husband and child in a tent.

This foreshadows for their tied fates and how Dany goes beyond the wall when Jon, the only other living Targaryen calls for help, putting aside her invasion plans for the throne to save Jon and commits to fight along with him after the death of her child, Viserion and witnessing what she thought was his death as well, so that the entire kingdom including the capital doesn’t end up destroyed by the forces of winter.

Escape:

Dany finds her dragons and what the warlock didn’t anticipate was, in Dany’s presence her dragons grow strong enough to burn him and their chains.

This scene cuts straight to Jon being taken to Mance Rayder’s camp. Halfhand instigates a fight with him, the wildlings give Jon his sword to enjoy the show and he keeps provoking Jon until Jon kills him. Halfhand whispers, “We are the watchers on the wall” with his dying breath so Jon understands why he did it. Jon gains the respect of the wildlings for killing the legendary Qhorin Halfhand and they believe that he committed mutiny, which is punishable by death, destroying all chance of him going back to the watch. They cut his ropes to free him and say “Time to meet king beyond the wall.”

Transformation

Once again Jon and Dany’s story lines finish a season. From Ygritte‘s deception, Halfhand’s mentoring, his own struggles with the moral grey areas beyond the wall and the knowledge that Mance too was once a crow, Jon gears up to play the part of a double agent to gain intel on the wildlings for the watch.

The scene cuts to Dany who finds Doreah & Xaro in bed. Dothraki take his pendent, find the vault empty and lock them in the vault. “Thanks for teaching me this lesson,” Dany says because she finally learnt that even though Xaro’s wealth was all a lie, by concealing that information well, he managed to rise to power. Dany uses this information to negotiate in Astapor where she doesn’t naively show all her cards the way she did at Qarth but shows up as a customer, there to buy the unsullied.

Both walk away, prepared for deception they would need next season. Just as Dany happily walks away with the fire breathing dragons, the scene cuts to three horns being blown at fist of the first men, the Night’s Watch’s first fight with Walkers.

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 24 Aoû - 20:38

Citation :
Season 3 - Deceptive beginnings to finding a noble purpose - Spy among Free Folk & Breaker of chains

In a way this season completely flips Jon and Dany’s character situations in season 1, Jon finds himself without free will or a support system in what he considers a barbaric society. Ironically, he is the only one not free among people who call themselves free folk. He must cope and blend in, he even falls in love with one of them, which begins as a means for survival and proving that he really has forsaken his vows, much like Dany in season 1. Dany on the other hand is commences her hero’s journey in the Slaver’s Bay to free the oppressed, much like Jon’s need to become the shield that guards the realm of men in season 1.

Goals:

Jon Immediate - He must infiltrate the Wildling army as a spy in order to gain as much intel he can about their attack on the wall.
Jon Long term - Living with the Wildlings his moral conundrums between his black and white vision of the world blurs to grey because of which seasons later, he realises that the fight between Wildlings and Night’s watch is futile.

Dany Immediate - To get an army for invading Westeros, Jorah talks Dany into travelling to Astapor to buy unsullied as unlike normal soldiers, their obedience guarantees that they wouldn’t kill, rape or loot the innocent in war. Dany is against sell swords and has a distaste for slavery, which is evident from the way she cringes when she sees the golden statue of Harpy when their ship gets close to harbour.
Dany Long term - After witnessing the atrocities the slaves face in slaver’s bay, Dany puts her goal for Iron Throne on hold and her goals start shifting in the direction of abolishing slavery in Essos, which became evident when Jorah tells her she has no reason to take Yunkai as it doesn’t serve a purpose in her plans to take Westeros and Dany says “We have 200,000 reasons to take the city” after he tells her the population of slaves in the city.

3A - Mance Rayer’s army camp & Astapor: They both begin the season with a plan to deceive someone by concealing their true selves for the greater good.

Jon hides the fact that he is still a crow. He straight away bends the knee to Tormund, assuming he’s Mance and pledges his loyalty to them. Mance tells him that they don’t bend knees north of the wall and rejects reasons like love for Ygritte or desire for freedom, Jon settles for a half truth that will become his character goal as a leader. He tells him that he saw a White Walker when Craster offered his baby boy to them and Commander Mormont cared for it less than the Wildling army. “I want to fight for the side that fights for living,” he declares and is accepted as one of them.

Dany hides her beliefs on slavery, her ability to speak Valarian & her lack of wealth when she comes to negotiate for the Unsullied. She shrewdly bargains with the slavers for all Unsullied, the untrained boys and Missandei in exchange for one of her dragons. When Ser Barristan and Jorah challenge her, she steps up as a leader and warns them that she values their advise but they should never challenge her decisions in front of strangers.

New Mentors : As a former member of the Night’s watch who became the King beyond the wall to fight against the White Walkers, a goal the Watch had strayed far from over the centuries, Mance Rayder becomes a huge influence on Jon’s leadership style. Soon after they meet and bond over their common goals for desertion from the watch, he tells Jon that uniting ninety clans for the largest army in the North seemed like an impossible task, but “I told them we are all going to die if we dont go down south.” A unification strategy Jon uses later as a leader whenever he needs to switch focus from internal squabbles to the threat beyond the wall.

In Astapor, Dany meets Ser Barristan Selmy who pledges his loyalty to her. He ends up becoming one of Dany’s most trusted advisers and as someone who knew both her father and Rhaegar well, he was able to give Dany a much more realistic connection to her roots than her brother did.

Conclusion : When the Wildlings find out about the White Walker attack on the Rangers of Night’s watch at Fist of First Men, Mance orders them to climb the Wall and wait to attack Castle Black from Southern gate until he lights the greatest fire that the North has ever seen and sends an army to the Wall. He tells them to take Jon with them as he knows the castle’s defences and weaknesses. Jon reluctantly gives them intel about only 3 of the 19 forts being manned and the details about patrolling on the wall but he sneaks in a lie that there are a thousand men instead of a hundred on the wall to delay their attack. Morally and strategically torn due to his double life, he leaves for the Wall desperate and hopeless but his cover is blown to Ygritte who figures out he’s still a crow. Thankfully she keeps it a secret.

During the exchange of the Unsullied and Drogon, as soon as Dany gets the golden Harpy whip, she brings the deception to an end and reveals that she can understand and fluently speak in Valarian. She commands the Unsullied to kill every master in the city, free every slave and not harm any child or innocent. Drogon burns the slave trader. She frees the Unsullied and asks them to follow her if they believe in her. She leaves with an army, all her dragons and a newfound purpose in life.

Transition - Climbing the wall & Road to Yunkai : Joer Mormont is killed in a mutiny at Caester’s Keep and Jon sets to return to his side of the wall like a Wildling, by climbing the wall. On the road Ser Barristan challenges Jorah’s position in the Queen’s counsel due to his disgraced past.

Military allies -
During this journey, Jon’s antagonistic alliance with Tormund grows more tense and Dany meets Grey Worm who is selected by the Unsullied as their leader.

3B - Wildling raid south of wall & Yunkai siege

Upon reaching south of the wall, Jon for a moment gets lost in the daze of blooming romance in their banter and talks of taking Ygritte to the Grey Keep in Winterfell and wanting to see her in a silk dress like the ladies of Westros so that he can tear it off her. Like the last time he got lost in fantasies and she reminded him they will take Castle Black, he once again instantly snaps out of it when she reminds him that they will take Winterfell as well. Jon tells her that from all his history lessons, he knows for a fact that they will lose just like the last six times Wildlings attacked the North in the last thousand years and makes it clear that his allegiance lies with his people, which Ygritte tries to erase by kissing him.

Outside the gates of Yunkai, Dany welcomes the leader of Masters of Yunkai, wearing a Queenly white silk dress and a the casual threat of her dragons. He tries to manipulate her the same way Xaro did last season, with gold, ships and her dream of the Iron throne. Dany doesn’t fall for it this time and puts her goals against slavery above her desire for the Iron Throne. She keeps the gold, tells them that they will lose this fight and gives them an ultimatum to free all slaves if they wish to live. He tells Dany that Yunkai is not like other cities, they have powerful friends who will destroy her and return slavery to her free cities. As we now know it was the Iron Bank who was backing the Yunkai, the City of Embezzlers for financial gain to destabilise Dany’s efforts to abolish slavery.

Warriors from opposing sides in love with them

Ygritte:

• Ygritte and Jon fight for opposing sides and their relationship was born reluctantly on Jon’s behalf as a part of fitting into his undercover persona of a Wildling when she tells him she wants him to break his vows to prove he’s not a crow anymore but he soon begins to like her after they get intimate. He takes a few steps back every time Ygritte mentions their plans for his homeland though.
  • Ygritte falls hard and fast soon after their time in the cave, which was evident from her reluctance to leave and prolong their time together. When they leave to climb the wall, she tells Jon that she’s his woman now and he needs to be loyal to his woman, casually dropping the threat of castration. Until this point Jon seems unaffected and wanting to escape.
  • When Ygritte almost dies during the wall climbing accident, Jon displays strong feelings for her and initiates a romantic kiss for the first time when they reach the top of the wall. What I found interesting with the Dany/Drogo comparisons is that Dany really falls for Drogo when she’s pregnant, when they created life together and Jon falls for Ygritte when he almost loses her to death.
  • He struggles with his duty and his love for Ygritte until they attack the old man who breeds horses for the watch. Jon tries to talk them out of it, clinks his sword on a rock to warn the old man, distracts Ygritte when she shoots an arrow at the man escaping on his horse but when they manage to capture the guy later, force Jon to kill him and accuse him of still being a crow when he can’t, that’s when he fights them and leaves.
  • The interesting thing is, even though Ygritte tells Jon that they need to be more loyal to each other than the leaders while he was betraying his cause to join hers, the moment he leaves the wildlings, he gets literally back-stabbed by three arrows right after telling her that she knew who he was, that he had no choice. He tells her he loves her and knows she loves her enough to not hurt him and he gets shot as soon as he turns around.

Daario Naharis

Daario meets Dany when Yunkai commissions the Second sons to fight Dany’s forces. He too instantly falls for Dany. When his partners plan to sneak into her tent dressed as unsullied to murder her, Daario is chosen to do it. He kills them instead and drops their heads at her feet to pledge his sword to her. “Second Sons are yours and so is Daario Naharis. My sword is yours, my life is yours, my heart is yours.” The next day he takes Yunkai for her with Jorah and Grey Worm through a backdoor he had access to and the slave soldiers soon switched sides as well and opened the gates to Dany. So there is a significant contrast with Jon’s storyline here in terms of falling for the someone you are expected to fight, loyalty and switching sides since Daario ends up worshipping the ground Dany walks on.

Climax & Transformation

Jon’s horse drops him half dead at the gates of Castle Black, broken both physically and emotionally. He returns to where he belongs with a mission, preparing the Wall for Mance Rayder’s attack. He is carried inside by his friends to get immediate medical help. Just like Dany his goals have changed as well, he no longer wants to be a heroic Ranger, he just wants to protect every person south of the wall against the threats beyond the wall. Venturing out in the world, his moral compass has become greyer and his mind has expanded enough for him to see the big picture and things that really matter.

Davos stands at the end of the table at Dragonstone with the scroll from the Night’s watch needing reinforcements, trying to convince Stannis to march North, something Melisandre agrees with telling Stannis that this is his destiny and as we know now, Davos once again finds himself in a similar situation when he goes to Dragonstone with Jon to convince Dany to join the fight in the North.

The season ends with Dany, not a Jon & Dany transition scene. She is waiting for the slaves in Yunkai to open the gates for her. “People learn to love their chains,” she says from her experience as a dehumanised girl with no free will for most of her life. She addresses the former slaves of Yunkai to tell them that their freedom is not hers to give but theirs to take. When the people starts cheering for her and calls her Mhyssa(mother), she walks into the crowd and is carried by them . Just like Jon, Dany too has a new mission now, to put an end to slavery in Essos instead of conquering Westeros.

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 24 Aoû - 21:06

Citation :
Season 4 - Finding home & voice as leaders yet a loss of self-Sword in the Darkness & Conqueror of Slaver’s Bay

This is by far my favourite season, as a whole, not just because I absolutely loved the dark and layered story arcs both Jon & Dany were set on. This was the season that I really got invested in Jon, unlike Dany who had my heart end of Season 1. Both these characters start out as people without a home, defending their adoptive home, only to lose themselves and their personal goals completely in the process. The descent into abyss only getting more satisfying next season until they both reemerge from darkness, stronger.

Goals

• Jon - Protect the Night’s watch against the army of Wildlings
  • Dany - Put an end to slavery in slaver’s bay before she leaves Essos

Beginning - Jon

Internal - Psychological state :

• Jon begins this season healing from his heartbreak and the literal wounds of being shot in the back right after confessing his love to a girl for the first time in his life.
  • Psychologically he is struggling with the double life he led as an undercover crow among the freefolk, as he adjusts in his structured and lawful environment.
  • His fist scene is him talking to Sam about how he was always jealous of Robb growing up because he was better at everything and recalling their last conversation because he learns about the Red Wedding which happened while he was trying to escape the wildling raid.
  • He knows that Bran is alive, thanks to Sam’s interaction with Bran when he helps Bran go north of the wall. Jon feels powerless to not stop Bran from venturing beyond the wall & later this season he tries to plot Bran’s possible routes and locations on a map of the wildling territory in the library.
  • Jon made his peace with the fact that he has left the politics of the seven kingdoms behind when he didn’t desert the watch after Ned’s death but the knowledge that his family is gone and Winterfell is taken by Boltons does take a toll on him as he begins to suppress his grief. He gets more jaded and starts behaving more like the brooding Jon Snow with no regard for his life that we now know.
  • Jon even casually mentions that Alliser can finally hang him for what he’s done. When Sam tells him he did nothing wrong, Jon walks away saying “I’ve done plenty wrong,” with his unique brand of icy cold stoicism.

External - Situation :

• He stands in judgement in front of Maester Aemon, Alliser Thorne, acting Lord Commander in Mormont’s absence, the one man on the wall who hates him since day one and Slynt, the disgraced former Lord Commander of King’s Landing city watch, who is arrogant and dismissive of everything Jon saw beyond the wall especially wargs and giants.
  • Jon is defiant and unimpressed by his experience in the capital. He asks him if he’s ever even been north of the wall. Ironically this is the very reason Alliser hated Jon as soon as he joined because he too was arrogant about his fighting skills for someone who had never been north of the wall. Its the reason why Alliser calls him ‘Lord Snow’ to mock him. Shows how much Jon has grown as a character.
  • He honestly confesses to everything he had to do to infiltrate Mance’s army, how he escaped and magnitude of the threat the wildling army poses. Using Mance’s advice of uniting people with the fear of being killed by the unknown, he tells them that they would all die and the wall will be breached if they don’t take the threat seriously. Maester Aemon excuses Jon for breaking his vows for his reasons and the threat that lurks beyond the wall.

Beginning - Dany :

• Dany’s story starts out at a brighter, warmer and hopeful place, unlike Jon who is consumed by darkness and grief over his family. In fact, she starts out spending quality time with her family, her dragons, who are beginning to grow defiant like most teenagers do. She leaves for Meereen with the handful of Dothraki who followed her, the Unsullied, the Second Sons and the freed slaves of Yunkai who decided to follow her. She is prepared to liberate the stronghold of Slaver’s bay, Meereen. Daario tries to warm up her heart a bit more by giving her flowers to court her.
  • On the road to Meereen, she stumbles upon an infuriating sight, a crucified slave child’s dead body at every mile marker to the city. She orders them to bury all of them without collars after she marches ahead and looks at every single one of them. This welcome sets up her temperament of dealing with the Meerenese slave masters.

Foreshadowing scene transition : This season again has a scene in the beginning of their story to setup their arcs for the season, of stepping up as a leaders with goals that shake up the status quo, with blatant disregard for the current established system, in order to protect their adoptive home.

Jon

• Oliie arrives at Castle Black to inform them about the wildling raid at his village. Maester Aemon & Allier don’t want to send men as they are low on numbers and the raids are clearly a tactic to draw them out.
  • As a champion of the common people, Alliser asks for Jon’s opinion & he agrees in his doomsday tone. “Mance Rayder is coming. If the Wildlings breach the wall they’ll roll over everything and everyone for a thousand miles before they reach an army that can stop them.”
  • A horn blows for incoming riders and two of Jon’s close friends return after escaping from Craster’s Keep. They inform everyone of the mutiny at Craster’s, Commander Jeor Mormont’s death &mutineers’ intentions to stay at Craster’s.
  • Jon requests to go beyond the wall to kill the mutineers which Alliser denies because they just agreed on holding the fort but Jon tells him that this isn’t about justice or revenge.
  • He lied to the wildlings about thousand men at Castle Black and if Mance reaches Craster’s Keep before them, they’ll get the truth out of the mutineers and know that the wildlings already raiding beyond the wall are enough to attack them right now, before they are prepared to fight. “Mance has all he needs to crush us, he just doesn’t know it yet.” A gentle reminder to the death that their doorstep and they all agree.
  • Despite his reasonable exterior, Jon is shaken up when he’s not facing them. The news of Jeor, his father figure, hits him hard when he’s already sinking in grief. This scene cuts straight to Dany.

Dany

• Dany reaches the gates of Meereen where they send a single rider, the champion of Meereen, who mocks her for being a woman with an army of eunuchs.
  • Daario volunteers to fight him and wins it before it even began with his smooth cocky theatrics.
  • Dany then addresses the common people directly to clarify that despite the lies of masters, she went to Astapor & Yunkai and all the slaves from those cities now stand behind her, free. She assures them she brings choice, not commands, and fires barrels full of collars from freed slaves to make a statement that resonates among the slaves.
  • Dany has always been someone who motivates the oppressed to take their freedom on their own, much like she did for herself. She has never been a savior but a great influencing force that the masses get behind, a revolutionary.

The contrast here is that Jon’s enemy is death itself that looms beyond the wall and he is fighting for survival, of the Night’s watch and the North. Dany on the other hand is fighting for life with free will against the powerful within society who oppress rather than lead.

Planning attacks in the pursuit of justice

Jon gets permission by Alliser to ride to Craster’s Keep but he is only allowed to take volunteers. He gives a speech about the mission being risky but necessary for their survival. If it wasn’t enough, he reminds them that they are brother and Lord Commander Mormont their father who lived for the Watch and died at the hands of backstabbing cowards he considered his men. “All we can give him now, is Justice” and to his and Alliser’s surprise, he gets enough volunteers for the mission.

Grey worm and Unsullied enter Meereen through the gutters dressed as the local slaves to join the gathering of slaves contemplating their freedom. Grey Worm shares his experience and gives them weapons. “Kill the masters” is smeared on the walls with blood and a Targaryen flag hanging over the statue of Harpy on top of the pyramids as a Master is slaughtered by the mob. As soon as Dany takes the city, she crucifies the masters just as they displayed slave children on the road to Meereen. Ser Barriston asks her to consider answering injustice with mercy as the support of the rich and powerful is necessary to rule. Danydeclares, “I will answer injustice with justice.”

Adopting a new Home

Jon: After heartbreak, grief over his family and losing a father figure and the loss of his home, Jon begins to cling onto the Night’s watch as his home much like Tyrion told him in season one that “You leave your old family behind and find a new one”. He starts using the word home for Castle Black and Brothers to address the Night’s watch frequently and calls Commander Mormont their father. He doesn’t spend a moment grieving, he channels his focus entirely on protecting his new home against Mance Rayder’s army at all costs, after his real home and family was destroyed while he was living among Wildlings.

Dany intended on leaving Essos after liberating Slaver’s Bay and Daario informs her that the Second Sons took the Meerenese Navy which is just enough for her to get her army to Westeros. She even learns of Joeffery’s death. She is in a situation similar to Qarth when she learns of Robert’s death and considers marrying Xaro for his resources to get her to Westeros, only now she has all resources at her disposal. Ser Barristan believes that after all the wars, they could easily take King’s Landing but Jorah doesn’t think they can take all of Westeros with current resources & no allies.

Jorah informs her that her council in Astapor was overthrown and in the absence of all masters, a common criminal declared himself King. Yunkai re-enslaved the free people who stayed back and swore to take revenge against her. We now know that with the help of the Iron Bank, they form the Sons of Harpy to destabilise her regime and bring back slavery to Slaver’s bay.

She begins to doubt herself and wonders why anyone should follow her. She quickly realises, it would require more than just the liberation to put an end to slavery and she needs to stabilise Slaver’s bay before she leaves. After fighting tooth and nail for her own freedom, she refuses to let the people she freed fall back into chains. She stays in Meereen and adopts it as her home until slavery is gone for good. “I will do what Queens do, I will rule,” she says refusing to leave for Westeros just yet.

Reaction to loss/betrayal of a Mormont

Jon attacks Craster’s Keep when the mutineers are drunk at night and during the showdown with the cut throat responsible for the mutiny, he gets crap about not knowing what it feels like to be free or fighting with honour being his weakness. It ends with Jon burying Longclaw through the back of his skull when he’s too distracted attacking the girl who stabbed him to protect Jon. Jon reunites with Ghost, who also killed one of the mutineers who managed to escape. Jon last saw Ghost when he left to find Wildlings early season two and now they have both grown in the wild into bloodthirsty wolves. They burn down Craster’s Keep along with the bodies and avenge Lord Commander Mormont.

Later this season Tywin got one of Varys’s birds to send Jorah’s royal pardon signed by Robert to Ser Barristan in order to create a rift between Dany and one of her most trusted advisers. The betrayal hits her hard when she finds out that Jorah spied on her since the beginning and was responsible for the attempt to poison her while she was pregnant. She banished him from Meereen and gave him until sundown to leave or die.

The loss & betrayal of their Mormont parental figures and guiding force leaves these two hardened and facilitates their descent into darkness, but it also helps them grow independently as leaders.

Being weighed down by politics

Jon at the Night’s Watch:

• In the beginning when Jon starts training the Night’s watch about the fighting styles of the wildlings that he observed in his time with them. Alliser quickly reminds him that he’s a steward and a traitor’s bastard, without Mormont to protect him. As acting Lord Commander, he commands Jon to go back to the kitchen.
  • Jon’s request for the mission on Craster’s Keep gets sanctioned only because Slynt warns Alliser that Jon is more liked and Maester Aemon would soon call for a vote now that Mormont’s death is confirmed. If Jon dies at Craster’s, there’s no risk of him rising in rank above them.
  • He warns Alliser that Mance’s camps were close to Craster’s and he’ll reach the wall by the next full moon. Slynt makes fun of his friendship with Mance and dismisses his warnings as they still don’t believe the Wildlings are united.
  • Jon urges Alliser to block the tunnel with rocks & ice forever, as he has seen what giants can do unlike them. He’s reminded he’s not of the order of builders but stewards. They want to keep the tunnels open because sending Ranger beyond the wall to carry out missions against wildlings has been the only real duty of the Watch in the last few centuries. The interesting thing to note that Jon started out with the goal to become a Ranger like his uncle and now he’s evolved enough to shut the door on it for the safety of the realm forever.
  • Jon & Sam are assigned guard duty on the wall until the full moon when Jon expects Mance to march on the wall instead of being allowed to have any say in the strategy.
  • Alliser believes in Jon’s intel only after Mance Rayder lights the biggest fire the North has ever seen but he does impart him with wisdom that comes in handy later “You know what leadership means Lord Snow? It means that the person incharge gets second guessed by every clever little twat with at mouth. But if he starts second-guessing himself, that’s the end.” Alliser agrees that they should have sealed the tunnels when they had the time.
  • Despite Jon’s warnings since day one that they will be attacked by the Wildlings he climbed the wall with from southern gate as Mance attacks the wall, there are hardly any men posted at the back gate. Alliser to leave the wall to Slynt and to go down to fight for the attack on Castle Black from the southern gate they didn’t prepare for.
  • Slynt freezes up and can’t fathom that giants are real even when they are charging at the wall right in front of his eyes. He keeps bragging about the force of trained men he commanded as Lord Commander of the City watch and keeps calling them a group of misfits instead of handling the crisis until Grenn lies that Alliser needs him downstairs and Slynt leaves to hide in the pantry.

Dany in Meereen:

• Dany finds grey areas in her decision to crucify the Slave Masters when Hizdahr zo Loraq, her future fiance begs her for his father’s body so he can perform last rights. He tries to appeal to her humanity by telling her that his father worked on the preservation of the pyramid she resides in & other landmarks in Meereen and strongly opposed the crucifixion of slave children. Dany is reluctant because he did own slaves, despite opposing the cruel displays but she lets him bury his father when dignity. This only opens up the floodgates for him making his way to her inner circle, which only causes more problems.
  • After Daario asks Dany to send him somewhere to kill her enemies instead of asking him to patrol the city, she sends the Second Sons to Yunkai to kill all the masters & take back the city. Jorah talks her out of it since he too sold slaves once and Ned Stark’s mercy gave him a second chance. Dany commands him to send Hizdahr zo Loraq as her Ambassador with Daario to tell them what happened in Meereen & warn them to “Live in her new world, or die in their old one.” Though this diplomatic alternative seemed better at the time, we now know that it was the Masters of Yunkai who were in cahoots with the Iron Bank for the setup of Sons of Harpy in Meereen which caused all the havoc in Slaver’s bay to overthrow Dany and bring back slavery.
  • Dany meets a slave who wants to go back to his master as he enjoyed his life as a teacher and hates being the old man being picked on by the young at her new camps for former slaves. Dany allows him to go back with a one year contract. Barriston feels this contract rule could be taken advantage of for return of slavery in every way but name. It really does have that effect because next season the slaves were still being auctioned for the fighting pits.

Locking up their animal symbolism

As soon as Jon returns from Craster’s with Ghost, Alliser tells his that the Watch is no place for wild beasts and commands him to lock him up if he doesn’t want him to end up in the stew. Jon complies but it doesn’t last long for his storyline as during the attack on Castle Black in the finale he sends Sam to let the Direwolf out, during the attack on Castle Black.

Dany on the other hand is forced to lock up Viserion and Rhaegal in the crypts after Drogon burns a shepherd’s three year old girl. A heartbreaking decision that leaves Dany in tears as she closes the crypt on her children for the safety of the people of Meereen. Symbolically, Drogon, flees the city just as Dany begins to try fitting into the mould of Queen of Meereen and forsaking the Dragon and the Khalessi within her.

In the finale when Dany walks away in tears after chaining up her children, it cuts straight to Jon’s scene which too ends with him walking away heartbroken from Ygritte’s funeral pyre. Another layer of parallels here, is that Dany too once burnt a funeral pyre for Drogo, a relationship which already has so many parallels with Jon & Ygritte.

Climax

The end of this season leans heavily on Jon, as some of the previous season endings favoured Dany. Amidst the chaos of the politics in the Night’s Watch, Jon ends up in a position to lead the Wall’s defences, truly embodying the leader they needed during their darkest night. When the defence has been setup, he learns that Alliser has fallen, leaving the Castle vulnerable. He sends Grenn with a small team on a suicide mission to hold the inner gate against the giant as he too descends down the elevator to hold the fort and just as he steps out to engage in one of his most satisfyingly gory combat scenes, he asks Sam to let the Direwolf out. Oh the symbolism!

When he comes face to face with Ygritte he has a smile on his face even though she’s pointing an arrow at him. Ollie shoots her with an arrow when she’s struggling with the idea of killing Jon, its tragic but understandable since Ygritte was part of the raid on Ollie’s village & he thought Jon was in danger. Earlier that night, Sam asks him “How is it like to be with someone? To love someone and have them love you back?” It irks Jon, ”I’m not a bleeding poet. What did I get for it? An arrow six inches from my heart.”

Jon begins this season heartbroken over Ygritte and dealing with the grief of his family’s slaughter at the Red Wedding, the destruction of Winterfell and Commander Mormont’s death. It ends with him surrounded by the death and destruction of his adoptive home and brothers of the Night’s Watch as he holds the corpse of the woman he loves.

Aftermath

Jon :

• Jon ends up losing all hope in their survival end of this episode. When Tormund says he should have killed him, Jon only responds with, “Aye, you should have.”
  • The next morning he goes beyond the wall, alone and unarmed to kill Mance Rayder under the guise of a negotiation. It’s a suicide mission, “You’re right, its a bad plan. What’s your plan?” he asks Sam. He understands the futility of the situation but he also knows they are doomed anyway, the Night’s Watch wouldn’t survive another night against Mance.
  • Despite the ulterior motives, Mance’s offer of peace, that the wildlings wouldn’t have to kill them if they were peacefully allowed safe passage to hide behind the Wall now that the White Walkers are rising, ends up planting the seed for his motivations next season.
  • Just when Jon was caught in an attempt to kill Mance in the middle of their peace talks, Stannis’s last minute save gives them a fighting chance.
  • Jon convinces Stannis to take Mance prisoner instead of killing him and burn the dead and Stannis finds respect for him when he learns Jon is Ned’s son.

Transformation : Stannis’s save and Mance’s peace offering pulls Jon from the pit of total hopelessness and despite the great loss and death which surrounds them and the dangers that lurk beyond the wall, he finds some purpose to lead next season.

Dany : She ends this season with Jorah banished, Daario in Yunkai on a mission to reestablish control diplomatically, her dragons locked up in the crypt and Drogon fled from Meereen. Though her story started on a hopeful note, in order to learn how to fit into the mould of the Queen of Meereen and repeatedly being advised to go against her instincts to govern like a diplomatic leader, Dany ends up losing a good part of herself. She is neither the Mother of dragons, nor a Khalessi of the great grass sea and her goals of returning to Westeros are dwindling as she finds herself in a dark place lost and unsure of herself as a leader.

Transformation : Dany leaves a good part of herself, the revolutionary conqueror, behind as she locks the Dragons as they are too wild for a ruler trying to establish order in her kingdom in favour of becoming the Queen of Meereen.

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 24 Aoû - 21:48

Citation :
[size=140]Season 5 -Honourable leaders vs Resistance to Change, leading to Assassination - Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch & Queen of Meereen[/size]

This season both Jon & Dany embody their roles as strong leaders and champions of the people. Both have forsaken the destiny their houses demand in favour of their moral & honourable goals, Dany refuses to leave Meereen to Westeros until slavery is eradicated from Slaver’s Bay and Jon can’t join Stannis to take back Winterfell as he swore a sacred vow. Both struggle in their fights against the long winter & slavery due to diplomatic approaches towards resistance from within Mereen/Watch, which leads to assassination attempts at both of their lives. End of the season, they are both plucked from these leadership roles they are bound to by honour and duty.

Goals :

Jon has started to see through the futility of the fight against Wildlings as he begins to understand the larger threat they face and that’s the war he really wants to prepare for, even though due to the wars in Westeros, no one is sending men to Night’s Watch and the Watch itself is still plagued by the tunnel vision of Wildling hatred to see the true goals of the brotherhood.

Dany has completely stepped into the shoes of the Queen of Meereen. As the forces of antagonism rise in the form of the Sons of Harpy, Dany refuses to sail for Westeros until ensure slavery never returns to Slaver’s Bay.

Foreshadowing Scene Transition : There are two important scene transitions start of this season, which establish the new story arcs.

Establishment of goals: In Mereen the Unsullied knock down the Golden Harpy statue from the Pyramid and the killings of Sons of Harpy begin. Mossador, the representative of former slaves on Dany’s counsil who was the first to get behind her and call the meeting of slaves when Dany first came to Meereen, is convinced they intend to put them back in chains. Dany assures him them the heads of these snakes will be cut off once they are rattled out of their holes.

It cuts straight to Jon who is summoned by Stannis by Melisandre. Jon bends the knee to Stannis as he greets him. There are three long term goals established in this conversation.

• Stannis reminds Jon that the Boltons rule the North & of Robb’s death and asks “Don’t you want to avenge him?”
  • They discuss his stance on wildlings and how it could impact him badly considering the general antagonism against wildling in the Night’s Watch. “They were born on the wrong side of the wall, doesn’t make them monsters.” Jon vocalises his pro-wildling stance for the first time, beginning to embrace his unification goals this season.
  • Stannis also offers Jon until nightfall to convince Mance to bend the knee and offer his army to Stannis as he would give them lands and citizenship once his war is won, implanting the idea for Jon to do the same one day.

Establishing their struggles: Hizdahr zo Loraq ‘s insistence on reopening the fighting pits, inability to control Dragon and Mance’s stubbornness to not bend the knee.

Dany

• Daario and Hizdahr zo Loraq, the representative of former slave masters on Dany’s council, return from Yunkai stating that it was a success and they setup a council of both former master and former slaves which will be answerable to her.
  • He proposes reopening the fighting pits to her first, which the masters of Yunkai asked for in return. “Politics is the art of compromise,” he urges but Dany rejects his proposal and tells him she’s not a politician.
  • As we now know the masters of Yunkai, who swore to overthrow her, have banded with former slavers masters leaders in Slavers Bay and the Iron Bank to establish the Sons of Harpy to destabilise her regime and the pits open a backdoor for the return of slavery. Yet the entire season Hizdahr zo Loraq keeps pushing for the pits, presenting it as a wise move and in the end he dies at the great game at the hands of Sons of Harpy.
  • Later in bed, Daario says that he agrees with the opening of fighting pits because as a former slave, becoming a gladiator is what taught him how to fight, brought him glory, earned him his freedom, introduced him to the Second Sons and put him in her path.
  • He starts by of talking about his mother who sold him into chains and later the conversation moves to his views on the changes that happened in Meereen after he left. “You are not the mother of Unsullied, you are the mother of Dragons.”
  • Dany confesses that she doesn’t want them to hurt anyone & she’s afraid she can’t control them. Daario reminds her that she is the Dragon Queen and Dany visits the crypt, only to be chased away by her two angry & betrayed dragons.

This scene cuts straight to Jon:

• Mance guesses that Stannis sent Jon to convince him to bend the knee and ask for his army. Jon puts forth the proposal of the Wildlings getting lands here once Stannis’s war is won.
  • Mance says his people won’t respect him if he bent the knee to a Southern King, they would never fight for Stannis and it goes against all his principles.
  • Jon reminds him that winter is coming and his stubbornness would get his people killed after they put their faith in him to get them south of the wall. “Isn’t their survival more important than your pride”
  • Jon thinks Mance is foolish and making a big mistake but he just says “The freedom to make my own mistakes is all I ever wanted,” and accepts his fate to die with pride.
  • When Melisandre sets Mance of fire and Mance is engulfed in fear, Jon puts an arrow through his heart for mercy, so that he can die with dignity.

The beauty of this setup is that not only does it launch the arc of Jon’s struggle to unite the Kingdom against White Walkers but it’s interesting to note that even though he believed Mance was foolish, Mance leaves his mark on him after all the time Jon spends uniting the entire North using Mance’s strategy of telling people they would die at the hands of the unknown if they don’t unite. He has the exact same conversation with Dany. Her mirroring words, “Isn’t their survival more important than your pride,” leaves him with that self realisation.

Internal Struggle - Law vs Tyranny | Lord Stark vs Lord Commander Snow

Dany - Rigid enforcement of Law:

• Daario catches a member of Sons of Harpy and questioning him reveals that he is not a master but a poor man paid to fulfil orders. Mossador and Hizdahr tussle over whether or not its a plot by former masters to put former slaves in chains. Dany sides with Mossador, the leader of former slaves about executing the prisoner to send a message.
  • Ser Barristan suggests a trail as per the law and tells her that the stories of Mad King aren’t her enemies lies, he had witnessed the tyranny and and watched it destroy the kingdom and her family’s legacy.
  • Dany agrees to a trial as per the law.
  • Assuming that Dany’s hands were tied Mossador kills the prisoner that night and stages his body on the streets with “Kill the masters” smeared with blood on the wall much like they did when they took the city for her.
  • Mossador does it out of unshakeable devotion in Dany since day one. She later states the law in the matter is, killing a prisoner awaiting trial is punishable by death. (Robb had to execute Lord Karstark for the same reason)
  • She stages a public execution to make a statement that freedom cannot exist without law and dismisses pleas of the former slaves in the audience. This beheading further polarises the already volatile city.
  • After the mob violence between the former slaves and masters caused by the the controversial beheading, Drogon showed up to meet Dany that night and just as she tried to touch him, he flew away. Metaphorically, being caught up in politics and diplomacy of mortals, she’s not prepared to embrace the Dragon within her.

Later when Tyrion meets Dany and she asks him for advise on the fate of Jorah’s life after he returned to Meereen despite banishment as an example of his skills as an advisory. “A ruler who kills those devoted to her is not a ruler who inspires devotion.” He tells her she would need to inspire devotion if she ever wants to rule Westeros. The aftermath of this execution made Dany ruthless towards those who fight against her and more forgiving of those devoted to her.

Jon - The offer for Lord Stark

• Stannis once again summons Jon to express his disappointment at the mercy Jon showed Mance. “Show too much kindness people wont fear you. If people don’t fear you they wont follow you” an advise Jon uses right after the election when he executes Slynt.
  • Jon respectfully tells Stannis that the freefolk will never follow him and Stannis asks condescendingly “Who then? You?” which too happens soon after.
  • Stannis shows him a letter by Lyanna Mormont saying they cant support his claim because he’s not a Stark. Jon apologises for finding it amusing and tells him the Northerners and Freefolk are similar in that regard, they only follow their own.
  • Stannis bargains that if Alliser wins the election & becomes Lord Commander, Jon will be punished for his bravery but Stannis would reward him with legitimisation, a Stark name & title of Lord of Winterfell if Jon pledges his sword to him and joins him in his battle for Winterfell.
  • Jon would be useful because with a Stark, Stannis can get Northern forces & support. Also Melisandre saw him fighting at Winterfell in the flames, as she mentions next season.
  • Jon tells Sam its all he wanted his entire life but he’s honour bound to the Night’s Watch.

Election for Lord Commander:

• Since Alliser poses a threat to both Jon & Gilly, Sam nominates Jon for the position of Lord Commander because despite his age and lack of experience, he was the Commander they turned to when the night was darkest.
  • Alliser asks them whether they would choose someone who has fought Wildlings his enter life or someone who makes love to them.
  • The voting reveals a tie, which means Alliser still has half the watch backing him and his Anti-Wildling sentiments but Maester Aemon breaks the tie with his vote for Jon.

Stannis’s advice for Lord Commander

• Stannis isn’t pleased when Jon rejects his offer because he doesn’t want to forsake his sacred vows and compares it to Ned’s honour which got him killed.
  • Stannis leaves him with another useful advise, to send Alliser to Eastwatch as the Watch is polarised at the moment. When Jon says its safer to keep your enemies close, Stannis disagrees, that whoever said that didn’t have many enemies.
  • He leaves him with one last parting gift, his Wildling prisoners and advise to see if Tormund if more willing than Mance to negotiate with Jon .

Davos’s Appeal for Lord Stark

• When Stannis leaves, Davos reminds Jon of his vows he is so honour bound to include guarding the realm of all men, which requires getting your boots dirty.
  • He says sitting in a frozen castle with a non existent army as the North suffers under Boltons will accomplish nothing. It’s a good point, because even as King in the North, he still has the same goal and governs like the he did as Lord Commander, addressing all his brothers in the common room from his High Table of advisers but now he has an army at his disposal and has the North focused on the threat of winter instead of political squabbles.

Execution : On his first day as Lord Commander, he assigns Alliser as First Ranger as a sign of good faith as he’s their most experienced ranger and Slynt the restoration of ruined fort Greyguard. Slynt as usual begins to show off that he was inchanrge of King’s Landing’s defence when Jon was still a child. He is defiant and disrespectful even when Jon tells him to its not a request but an order. Jon asks his men to take Slynt outside and for Ollie to fetch his sword as insubordination is punishable by law at the watch.

Jon stops stops with his sword hanging above Slynt’s head when he confesses he didn’t want to go because he’s a coward, agrees to leaving and begs for mercy. Jon beheads him anyway as a demonstration of strength and to inspire fear and respect in a polarised environment where he’s not respected by half the people.

Jon/Dany Parallel & Contrast for Execution :

• This execution happens in the very next episode after Dany’s public execution of Mossador to uphold their law.
  • The contrast would be that Slynt was defiant and Mossador was devoted.
  • After Mossador ‘s execution Dany lost the faith of the common people backing her in a polarised and unstable political environment and Slynt’s execution ensured subordination from those who didn’t respect his decisions.
  • Though in Dany’s case the Sons of Harpy grow stronger publicly and in Jon’s case his foes grow stronger in shadows despite surface level obedience and in the end it leads to assassination attempts on both of them, in broad daylight vs being lured into a corner at night.

Jon - Shutting the door on Lord Stark

• When Sam gives him letters to be signed and sent to all the lords to ask them for more men, Jon refuses to ask Boltons for help in a rare display of expressing his feelings over Robb’s death. Sam reminds him that he’s the Lord Commander now, its his priority and Boltons could have men to send to the watch.
  • Mellisandre makes a move on Jon in order to convince him to join Stannis’s cause and march with them, he rejects her advances and tells her he loves another.

Dany : Hesitant Ruthlessness

• Hizdahr zo Loraq shows up once again to request the fighting pits be reopened as its the first day of the season. He presses that despite the cruelty, it is ingrained in Meereen’s culture & traditions and without traditions, former masters & former slaves have nothing in common but distrust and hatred, which will lead to violence.
  • The Unsullied are attacked by the Sons of Harpy in an alley, Grey Worm is injured and Ser Barristan dies saving his life.
  • Dany is angry that Ser Barristan, who preached mercy until that morning died in a back alley at the hands of cowards.
  • She orders all the leaders of the great houses of masters be rounded up and she takes them to the crypt where her dragons are chained.
  • Dany vocalises that she won’t give up on her dragons but train them.
  • One of the masters is pushed in to be burnt and eaten and the rest are taken as prisoners. The process to be repeated daily until they talk, who is responsible for Sons of Harpy.

Dany’s struggle between mercy & ruthlessness is here to stay but this does momentarily help her step out of her self imposed constraints as Queen of Meereen & helps her embrace the dragon within.

Foreshadowing - First indirect interaction: Sam reads a scroll to Maester Aemon informing him that Dany is under siege at Meereen with forces working against her from within and without and she refuses to leave until freedom of slaves is ensured. Maester Aemon is heartbroken that she is alone under such circumstances with her last relation at the other end of the world, unable to help. “A targaryen alone in the world is a terrible thing,” Maester Aemon says as Jon walks into the room.

Seeking reassuring counsel

Jon asks Mester Aemon on advise on something he wants to do which will divide the Night’s watch and half of them would hate him. Maester Aemon tells him to do it without even knowing what it is since half already hate him and as Lord Commander he should do what needs to be done for the greater good. “Kill the boy Jon snow and let the man be born.” As we now know Jon gets reborn next season.

Dany asks Missandei her thoughts on how she should handle this siege and Missandei tells her that she has seen Dany listen to the counsel of her advisers and sometimes she has seen her ignore their counsel because only she could see a better way. That’s how they met, Dany tricking the Missandei’s slave master by going against Jorah & Ser Barristan’s counsel.

Compromise with their prisoner

Jon &Tormund :

• Jon pitches that for 8000 years the Watch has strayed from its vision & fallen short of protecting the realms of men since Wildling belong in that realm as well. Winter is Coming and things will change since he is the Lord Commander now.
  • Tormund refuses to kneel & Jon says he doesn’t need it. He’ll allow them through the gates like Mance wanted & give them lands but when the Walkers come, he wants them to join the Night’s watch in the fight.
  • Jon has a handful of men & no lord in Westeros is sending people to the watch. Mance’s army of 150,000 gives them a chance. Its a smart bargain.
  • He tells him they need the wall, that he shouldn’t let his pride condemn their children to death.
  • Tormund tells him they are camping at Hardhome but he wouldn’t go alone as they would need assurances from the Lord Commander that Stannis’s borrowed ships wouldn’t be torched in middle of sea like Mance was burnt.

Dany & Hizdahr : Hizdahr is on his knees begging for his life when Dany accepts that he was right about the fighting pits, that she would embrace their culture to ensure peace & marry him to forge a better relationship with the Meerenese people as they view her as a foreigner right now.

Attempt at talking them out of their unshakeable resolve

Jon & the watch :

• They remind him that the abandoned villages Jon plans to give them were abandoned after Wildling raids, just like the slaughter at Ollie’s.
  • Ed, his closest friend reminds him of the 50 brothers they just lost.
  • Ollie holds onto the hope that Jon is tricking them but when Jon tries to make him understand need each other to survive winter, Ollie leaves angry & distant.
  • Alliser reminds him that they have been defending the wall against Wildlings for centuries & he even bids Jon farewell saying that the mission is stupid & an insult to Night’s Watch. Jon thanks him & leaves even though a good part of the Watch is riled up and to make things worse, he leaves Alliser incharge.

Dany & Daario :

• In bed that night Daario asks if the King of Meereen would reclaim his pillow after marriage and Dany assures him that Hizdahr is smart enough to know its purely political.
  • He isn’t convinced that killings will stop if their leader is King.
  • He asks why she can’t marry him instead as she’s a Queen & can does she pleases. Dany says she couldn’t do such an inadvisable thing even if she wanted to and Daario innocently remarks “Then you’re the only person in Meereen not free.” She realises for the first time that the title of Queen of Meereen put shackles on her instead of a crown.
  • He suggests her to gather all the great,wise & worthy masters in Slavers Bay at day of the great games & slaughter them. She says she’s not a butcher. “All rulers are either butchers or meat.” And as we know she is the one attacked at the great game and the Sons of Harpy crisis isn’t resolved until the main leaders plotting to overthrow her are killed.

Character guiding to Westeros

Since the beginning of the season it was Stannis who came to Jon with reminders of Winterfell, advising Jon politically and planting seeds in his mind to return to the world of Westeros. Just as Stannis walks away from Jon’s Story, Tyrion enters Dany’s when Hizdahr takes her to a lower fighting pit to boost morale & through the underground slavery that returned to Slaver’s Bay due to the reopening of pits, Jorah & Tyrion’s slaver too brought them to the same pit.

Cementing of Character goals pulling them together

Hardhome:
Jon & Tormund face resistance the moment they reach but they finally manage to call a meeting of all the clan leaders. Everyone is dismissive of Jon but he states that it’s not about friendship, it’s about survival.

• Jon offers them lands to farm, safe passage through the wall & the few dragonglass daggers they had, the only known weapon that can kill a white walker at that point, as a token of good faith to those who join them.
  • Reminds them that this is what Mance wanted, a new life for them but when they ask about Mance, his fate creates unrest which Tormund diffuses and urges them to make peace.
  • The clans are still reluctant as their people who died at the hands of the crows. Jon reminds them that he too would not forget the 50 brothers he lost the night Mance attacked. They don’t have to forget their dead but think of their children.
  • He once again uses Mance’s unification technique of reminding people of their inevitable doom to get them past conflict & look at the big picture. “The long night is coming, and the dead come with it. No clan can stop them, the free folk can’t stop them, the Night’s Watch can’t stop them and all the southern kings can’t stop them. Only together, all of us, and even then it might not be enough but at least we’ll give the fuckers a fight.”
  • Tormund vouches for him but they wonder what their ancestors would think when one of them says “Fuck em’ they’re dead,” and joins Tormund despite not trusting a man in black. Others soon follow suit.
  • The Thenns convince most of them to walk away, declaring they will always be enemies & its a trap to kill Wildlings at sea. Jon ends up with only 5000 on his ships out of the the large and adamant army.
  • Tormund tells him it took twenty years for Mance to unite them and assures him they would come around when they run out of food but soon enough a storm approaches and with it comes the army of wights.
  • People rush to the boats & Jon is told to leave to make sure they get to pass but he charges at the army instead with his men.
  • The moment he spots the White Walkers over the mountain, he rushes to retrieve the dragonglass daggers in the hut but he fails to find them & a walker attacks him. By the end of that fight, in a moment of desperation Jon crawls to his sword & swings it on instinct. It doesn’t break to their surprise & the Walker crumbles to ice as Jon slashes his sword through him.
  • They ditch the dragonglass and run for their lives as a much larger army of wights charges at them.
    As Jon leaves on the boat he looks into the Night’s King’s eyes as he raises all the dead, forever etching it in his mind who the real enemy is, a mission he can never stray from.

Dany & Tyrion’s meeting: Much like Dany & Jon’s archetypes of the revolutionary leader & saviour, house values of Targaryen & Stark and elements of Ice & Fire, their moment of truth are contrasting as well. Jon’s purpose cements during battle at Hardhome, Dany’s goals of conquering Westeros is reignited over a peaceful talk between Deanerys Targaryen & Tyrion Lannister which begins with them getting a read on each other, discussing the horrible past of their families and Varys’s faith in her.

• Tyrion commences her for reopening the fighting pits & on arranging a sham marriage for the good of her people, though he drops the mention of his sister marrying someone she despised for politics and it not working out well.
  • Dany takes him in as her adviser and once again vocalises her goal to take the Iron Throne in a really long time.
  • When Tyrion suggests she stay in Meereen since she’s done so much good in Slaver’s bay, she also finally vocalises that her fight here was only put an to end slavery. She will keep fighting for freedom but this is not her home.
  • For support of her claim, they discuss her strategy of being the champion of the common people alone not working out so well for her here, just like it wouldn’t in Westeros, if she somehow gains their devotion.
  • When Tyrion presses that one cant rule without support of the rich & begins to browse through his knowledge of the Nobel houses of Westeros and who might back her, she shrugs it off.
  • “Lannister, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell, they’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top and that one’s on top and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground. We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” She declares like a true Targaryen prepared to change the game once again after her conquest.

Climax

Jon- Night’s Watch’s Mutiny

• Jon feels like a failure for being the first Commander in history to sacrifice the lives of sworn brothers of the watch, only to return with a small portion of the Wildling army.
  • After Hardhome his only concern is White Walkers but Alliser & his men are still convinced Jon will get them killed by opening the gates to Wildlings.
  • Jon & Sam discuss his Valarian Steel discovery & loss of dragonglass. “It wouldn’t have mattered anyway unless we had a mountain of it,” Jon says. Sam asks for permission to go to the Citadel to learn more about the thereat. And as we know it, Sam does find a mountain of dragonglass & that’s what leads Jon to Dany.
  • That night as Jon sits in his chambers defeating, reading all the scrolls from the Lords of Westeros rejecting his request for more men at the Watch, Ollie lures him out with hope that a Wildling he brought back saw his Uncle Benjin.
  • Jon finds himself surrounded by Alliser & his loyalists in front of a cross labelled “Traitor”. They repeatedly stab him chanting “For the Watch.” The last stab in the heart by Ollie comes as the most hurtful betrayal. Jon is left to die alone in the snow after being assassinated discreetly in the darkness.

Dany - Sons of Harpy’s Coup

• Both Dany & Tyrion find murder for entertainment distasteful after their life experience and at one point challenge Hizdahr if he has ever killed instead of just enjoying it comfortably as sport?
  • Hizdahr and Dany debate over which legacy would survive[/b] after they are all gone - [b]Dany’s vision for the world or the cruel traditions of Meereen, that has lasted for ages.
  • Jorah shows up in the arena and wins, but at the end of that fight Jorah swings a spear in Dany’s general direction to kill the assassin in a golden mask behind her and so begins the attempt to assassinate Dany publicly in broad daylight. Hizdahr is the first to die in the chaos, unable to fight.
  • Despite their attempts to escape, Dany finds herself surrounded by Sons of Harpy in the middle of the arena with only a few people struggling to guard her.
  • Drogon comes to her rescue and when he’s been attacked by spears, Dany for the first time mounts Drogon and commands him to fly.
  • On her dragon, Dany escapes Meereen and the restrictive mould of the Queen of Meereen

Transformation

Just as Dany becomes a dragon rider after being saved from the attempted assassination by her Dragon, Jon is swallowed by his greatest enemy, death. Not for long though, he will be resurrected by fire magic but he returns darker & colder from the abyss, free of his vows & set on a path to leave the sidelines of the plot and return to the world of Westeros, with a clear purpose for the realm.

Drogon lands far off in the great grass sea, refusing to take Dany back and there, she ends up surrounded by a Dothraki hoard, going back to her roots & closer to her destiny of a Dragon riding Khalessi ready to leave for Westeros. Their lives as Lord Commander & Queen of Meereen are behind them now.

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 24 Aoû - 22:53

Citation :
Season 6 - Back to their roots - Bastard of Winterfell & Dothraki Widow

Jon Snow’s descent into darkness for the last two seasons lead him to the abyss of death. His arc this season is about truly embracing life once again and reestablishing the goals of fighting against death itself, which lurks beyond the Wall as King in the North, which unlike his position as Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, provides him with an army. But just like in season 3, when his loss of free will paralleled with Dany’s situation in season 1, the reactive nature of his character after being so broken that his arc & goals are mostly driven by a sibling’s desire to take back their home, once again puts him in a position similar to Dany’s beginnings.

After two seasons of trying to fit into the mould of Queen of Meereen by diplomatically making peace with the slavers & making compromises in a culture that has been profiting from slavery, cruelty & oppression, it’s symbolic how Dany’s character felt shackled in Meereeen by the end & she starts her story quite literally shackled & treated like a slave. In season 3, Dany embarked proactively on her hero’s journey to end slavery just as Jon left for the Watch in season 1. This season, just like Jon’s beginning, Dany is a proactive character, self driven towards her goals, brave & even a little arrogant like Jon was when he started out.

Engulfed by death & chained like a slave, they both start out overpowered by the very thing they fight against.

Parting with their previous title

Jon - Rebirth: Davos, Ghost & men loyal to Jon guard his body in his chambers as Alliser & his men take over the Night’s Watch. Davos asks Ed to get the Wildlings, who storm through the gates when Alliser is trying to break down Jon’s door and the traitors are arrested. Melisandre says that she saw Jon fight at Winterfell in the flames, but she’s struggling with her faith when Davos tries to convince her to do something. During a prolonged & hesitant ritual, Jon’s body is stripped, cleaned & Melisandre desperately chants the spell over & over again until nothing happens and they all leave. Ghost feels Jon’s presence & to both Davos and Jon’s shock, he comes back to life.

This strongly parallels with Dany’s rebirth end of season 1 but her rebirth helped her reclaim her life & find hope. Jon’s rebirth pushes him farther into hopelessness & despair, a regression into Dany’s beginning, only darker and kissed by death. When everyone greets him with awe, Tormund tells him that they think he’s some kind of God. It strongly resonates with the Dothraki struck by the presence of divinity when Dany walks out of the burning temple of Dosh Khaleen, unburnt later this season.

Struggle

• The first thing Jon says when he realises he came form the dead was “I shouldn’t be here.” He spends a good part of this season rejecting his second chance & dead on the inside. He even asks Melisandre to not bring him back if he died at Battle of Bastards, which he fought with a death wish.
  • “I did what I thought was right & I got murdered for it. Now I’m back. Why?” Its a question he keeps asking, partly unable to understand his greater purpose & partly feeling unworthy.
  • When Davos pushes him to keep fighting, he feels hopelessly defeated, that he thought he knew how to save the world but he failed.
  • Even before the execution of his mutineers, he’s sitting alone by the fire staring at the bloody vest he died in.

Transition : As soon as he hears their last words and hangs them, he hands his cloak to Ed and walks away. “My watch has ended.” He pledged his life to Night’s watch & he gave it when he died at the hands of his sworn brothers.

Dany - Queen of Merren to Dosh Khaleen : Dany’s transition is not as life & death as Jon’s but she’s shackled, flogged, dragged on foot through a desert & has to listen to the rape fantasies of her captors and there’s only more where that came from when she meets their Khal.

She speaks Dothraki to introduce herself with all of her titles, which he dismisses and once again threatens her with rape until she tells them she’s Khal Drogo’s widow. It finally earns her some respect but they decline to take her back to Meereen despite the offer of horses as reward and inform her of the widows of Khals.

In the city of Vaes Dothrak, she too is stripped naked in the temple for her transition to a Dosh Khaleen, by the other widows of Khals, but since she didn’t come to them as soon as Drogo died, she isn’t accepted as one of them just yet. Her fate will be decided during the meeting of Khals, Khalar Vehzven, where the Khals sit down to decide which cities to sack & which tribes to enslave. When Dany introduces herself as Queen of Meereen, along with all her titles, their leader says she was present during Dany’s pregnancy ceremony & Khal Drogo’s promise to conquer Westeros in that very temple. Dany gets an unsolicited lesson in patriarchy, “You thought he would conquer the world by you on his side.” She’s advised to accept her fate as a woman without her Khal to make that dream come true.

Introduction of new goals

Jon - When Ed asks Jon how he could abandon the watch after what they saw in Hardhome, Sansa arrives at the wall and as soon as he tells her everything about his situation, promises to protect her & not leave without her, Sansa plants the goal of taking back Winterfell with his army of Wildlings in his mind. Jon’s reluctance to fight,,“I’m tired of fighting” ends with Sansa’s ultimatum to seal his goal this season, “But I’ll do it myself if I have to.”

Dany - As the widows discuss their abusive pasts as Khalessis & appreciate this new life as Dosh Khaleens, as in this temple Khals come to them for wisdom, Dany excuses herself to get some air & leaves with the youngest widow there. “I can never leave Dosh Khaleen until I rise as smoke from the pyre the day I die,” the girl says when they talk about leaving & unknowingly plants Dany’s new goal in her mind. Daario & Jorah show up to rescue her but Dany refuses & asks them to lock the temple from outside when she’s called for the meeting of Khals & kill the guards posted outside, .

Foreshadowing Scene Transition :

Jon’s Motivation - Ramsey sends Jon a letter to inform him he has Rickon in his dungeon & his wolf’s fur on his floor. He threatens to skin every Wildling under Jon’s protection & if Sansa isn’t returned now, his men will take turns raping her.

Reaction : Tormund asks how many men Ramsey has, Sansa tells him 5000 during Stannis’s attack. Tormund confirms that the Wildlings have only 2000 who can fight. Sansa gives Jon the strategy to ask the Northern houses for help, they are still loyal to Starks & Jon is as much Ned Stark’s son as Ramsey is Roose Bolton’s. She urges him to save their brother & Winterfell from a monster & he finally nods to get onboard his arc this season.

This scene cuts straight to Dany being summoned to the temple.

Dany’s Motivation : Unlike Jon who needs external motivation this season, Dany is self motivated and has a plan already set in motion to acquire an army. She stands there silently when they discuss whether she belongs to Dosh Khaleen, or they should take the bounty of 10,000 horses the Masters of Yunkai have placed over her head or if they should just take turns raping her.

Reaction : Dany gets up on the centre stage and tells them that this is where she was told that her son will be the stallion that mounts the world & Drogo promised her to conquer Westeros. When they mock her for being stupid enough to believe it & decide that they would repeatedly rape her, “You are small men. None of you are fit to lead the Dothraki. But I am. So I will” she declares. When they refuse to ever serve her she holds one of the giant lamps on the stage & spills it, “You’re not going to serve. You’re going to die.”

All Dothraki rush to the flaming temple of Doah Khaleen. Dany emerges unburnt from of the burning symbol of a Khal’s widow’s sealed fate, surrounded by death of their Khals. All Dothraki clans in Essos, gathered there, kneel to the display of divinity like her remaining Khalsar did end of season 1 & Dany once again fully embraces the Dragon within her. This strongly parallels with Jon emerging from the death around him during the Battle of Bastards, finally embracing his will to live.

Motivating people to join their fight

Jon:

• Upon discovering that the Umbers(Northernmost house that despises Wildlings) & Karstarks (Robb executed their father for killing Lannister prisoners) declared for Boltons, Jon says “There are more than three houses in the North: Glover, Mormont, Cerwyn, Mazin, Hornwood. Two dozen more. Together they equal all others. We can start small & build.”
  • Jon tells the Wildlings that despite this not being the deal they made, he can’t fight Walkers from North & Boltons from south & if he loses the battle, the Boltons would kill them as well. “After they are finished with me, they’ll come for you.” The Wildlings agree to fight to protect their children.
  • Jon, Sansa & Davos meet Lyanna Mormont, who isn’t impressed by them or their fight. Davos tells her that Jon was Jeor Mormont’s chosen successor because they both understood that the real threat isn’t amongst squabbling houses but the death beyond the wall which both men have fought against at Fist of first men & Hardhome. Divided, the North is doomed, so she joins.
  • House Glover rejects them because they just got their house back from the Iron born with the help of Boltons. They don’t want to be flailed or fight with Wildlings. When Sansa reminds them of their oath, he expresses his distaste for Robb favouring his love life over his people when his house was taken, his family put in cells & his people slaughtered. “House Stark is dead.”

Mormont Figures : It’s interesting that both Jon & Dany once again get guiding Mormont figures back into their lives as just two episodes ago, Dany forgives Jorah, commands him to find the cure & extends an invitation to join her service once she leaves for Westeros and Lyanna partners with Jon.

Dany: In season 2 Jorah tells Dany that the Dothraki only respect strength and she will have a real Khalsar when she displays her strength & not before.

• Now that the Dothraki follow her only for superstition, on her road from Vaes Dothrak she asks everyone to wait. She returns riding Drogon, who has completely accepted her as a dragon rider, now that she too has fully embraced her inner dragon. It overwhelms them as a dragon is more powerful than any stallion any Khal has ever mounted.
  • She tells them that she would not choose only three blood riders like most Khals, as she isn’t a Khal but she chooses them all as her blood riders, a validation every Dothraki rider craves.
  • She gives them the exact same speech that Drogo gave his Khalsar when he promised Dany to conquer Westeros. “Are you with me? Now and always? “ she concludes to an army that has completely embraced her cause & her as a leader.

Key Difference: Even though Jon & Dany have been in similar situations emotionally as characters & have had mirroring arcs one of the key differences in them is, Jon still fails to inspire people. All his negotiations so far have ended with the Mance strategy of using the fear of unknown & inevitable doom. People might get onboard out of fear for their lives but they are always in small numbers, leading to him to be the underdog with a small army. This exact situation mirrors Hardhome, when he had to gather a force of the exact same size as the Dothraki. Even now that he’s touched by mysticism, he doesn’t use his divinity as the man who came back from the dead or has any strategies in place to really inspire people. But he has strengths in some areas in which Dany is weak, like his icy resolve & laser sharp focus on the real problems beyond the wall, which is why their convergence is necessary for Westeros’s survival.

Struggle with their right hand about battle plans

Jon - Plans for Battle of Bastards vs Sansa’s Advice

• Timing : They camp where Stannis did, for the site’s natural fortification & running stream. Jon doesn’t want to make Stannis’s mistake & wait, he wants to fight before the weather turns or Ramsey can gather more men. Sansa wants to go to the Cerwyns & more northern houses, but after the rejection at Glover & getting only 62 Mormonts, 143 Mazins & 200 Hornwoods, he says they don’t have the time for a lost cause, forcing Sansa to use her Vale trump card & she sends a raven to Littlefinger.
  • Negotiation : During the parley, Ramsey offers him to surrender terms which wouldn’t benefit Jon at all. Jon suggests a one on one combat which Ramsey refuses & Jon tries to infuriate him by saying that now his men know that he isn’t willing to risk his life for him. Sansa leaves telling Ramsey to sleep well before he dies the next day.
  • Judgement : During the war council, Jon says he challenged Ramsey to rile him up as Ramsey is overconfident & would charge first at the battle. Sansa, who has endured Ramsey’s patient & cold psychological abuse & torture, asks him how he made that judgement of character after a small meeting.
  • Strategy : They had a smaller army, the Wildlings were afraid of knights on horses who easily defeated them when Stannis attacked Mance but Davos says that patience is the only thing that could help them win. Their entire strategy banked on patiently waiting for Ramsey to charge first so that they can surround his army from three sides when it’s in centre of the field, something Ramsey ends up doing when Jon charges first. Sansa tells Jon that she doesn’t know battle plans but she knows Ramsey, he doesn’t fall into traps, he lays them & he is much better than Jon at it.
  • Sacrifice: Sansa tells him to give up on Rickon, as he is a Stark & a bigger threat to Ramsey than a bastard or a girl, which ensures his early demise. Jon doesn’t accept it as the letter about Rickon was the very reason he agreed to fight.
  • Advise: Dismissal of Sansa’s advice as obvious, leads to Jon’s doom, “Just don’t do what he wants you to do.” Ramsey creates the stage with burning flailed bodies of Stark sympathisers & gives Jon false hope of saving Rickon to lure him into the battlefield first & break him psychologically from his brother’s death, enough for Jon to throw out his plan & charge first. The battle was lost the moment he did.
  • Embracing life: We experienced the doomed battle from Jon’s POV as he navigates the death & destruction around him & not only does Ramsey order the Umbers to surround Jon’s army from three sides exactly like Jon planned for Ramsery but his archers had piled a mountain of bodies of Jon’s unprepared army behind them to act as a fourth wall. Jon ends up trampled in a stampede and for the first time since beginning of season 4, Jon embraces his will to live & claws his way out of the death that surrounds him. Sansa arrives with the Littlefinger by her side, as the Knights of Vale save the day.

Deathwish: Jon had no will to live until the battle of bastards which was evident from his request to Melisandre the previous night to not bring him back and his endearingly heroic, yet poor choice to charge alone at Ramsey’s army after Rickon’s death. But it changes when Jon embraces life & the knights of Vale save the day, that’s the first time this season Jon is no longer a walking corpse. He doesn’t feels defeated by death or lacks purpose in life. He stares at Ramsey & chases after him with a raging desire to kill.

Dany on the other end, returns to find Meereen under siege and a naval force at their shores, with a desire to kill all the masters.

Dany - Response to Seige on Meereen vs Tyrion’s Advise

• Dany calmly listens to Tyrion as he explains that the city did flourish for a while, after his meeting with the leaders of the masters from the slave cities, which essentially exposed Meereen as weak and leaderless.
  • Furious she discloses her plan, “I will crucify the Masters. I will set their fleets afire, kill every last one of their soldiers, and return their cities to the dirt.” In response, Tyrion tells her the story of siege on King’s Landing when the Mad King ordered Jamie to “Burn them all,” before Jamie killed him.
  • Unlike Jon, Dany changes her mind and takes Tyrion’s advise of laying a trap for the masters, tricking them into a negotiation for surrender to kill the leaders of slave masters responsible for Sons of Harpy & the siege.
  • The Slave Master from Yunkai, who Dany met earlier during negotiations of the siege on Yunkai, who promised to destroy her & her movement with the help of his powerful friends (Iron Bank), offers her terms of surrender which wouldn’t benefit Dany at all, a lot like Ramsey did to Jon at the parley. They asked her to return unsullied to masters of Astapor, kill the dragons & leave on foot.
  • They inform the masters that meeting is for their surrender. When they remind her that her reign is over, Drogo shows up & Dany declares “My reign has just begun,” before she mounts him & leaves to burn just the frontlines of the armada attacking the city. Rheagal & Viserion break out from the pyramid wall, so symbolically as she lets out the dragon within. A lot like Jon’s direwolf being let out from captivity when he led the charge at Castle black.
  • Grey Worm asks the soldiers to abandon the lost cause of defending masters who would never fight for them. They do & Tyrion thanks the masters for giving them the ships they seize after the forces stand down.
  • They ask them to choose which one would die & when they expose the least powerful/influential one, Grey Work kills the other two and tells the third one to leave and inform his friends of what happens.
  • “This cannot be forgiven despite her forgiveness in the past,” Tyrion says before the execution as in the end, the death of the most influential leaders of the slave masters was necessary to cement the abolishing of slavery from Salver’s Bay. Fire & Blood when diplomacy was mistaken for weakness.

Sansa/Tyrion - An interesting thing to note is they were husband & wife, both abused at the hands of Lannisters & had a difficult journey to Jon & Dany. They both served as motivating factors to pull Jon & Dany from sidelines to the big game just when the Seven Kingdoms had destroyed themselves through internal political squabble, Winter is coming & Westeros is in dire need of mystical intervention.

Climax

Taking Winterfell/Leaving Meereen

Jon
storms into Winterfell after Ramsey starts preparing for siege, the giant breaks the gate despite the numerous arrows he takes. Ramsey delivers a killing shot in the giant’s eye before challenging Jon to the duel he suggested earlier. Jon picks up a shield, avoids all his arrows and repeatedly punches his laughing face until he notices Sansa disturbed by his blood thirst. He orders Rickon’s body buried in the crypts.

He later offers the Lord’s chambers to Sansa, as she’s a Stark & Lady of Winterfell. He thanks her for the Knights of Vale & when Sansa apologises for not telling him about it earlier, he tells her they need to trust each other now that they have so many enemies. They both laugh about the white raven from the citadel informing “Winter is here” as he looks up at snowfall. With newfound conviction to live & fight death and having secured Winterfell, Jon summons all the lords of the North, even the ones who didn’t join them earlier.

Dany makes her first decision as Queen of Westeros by accepting their 100 ships into the armada that the masters brought to Meereen for siege & promises them Iron Islands & Euron’s death, if they accept her as Queen of Seven Kingdoms & accept its integrity by leaving their way of life, raiding & raping.

She makes Daario in charge of Bay of Dragons, renamed from Slaver’s Bay as she successfully abolished slavery & leaves him with specific instructions to keep peace in the Meereen until the people choose their own leaders, essentially establishing some form of democracy. She officially makes Tyrion her Hand to the Queen by giving him the pin.

Building a bridge to lead them to each other

Jon Banishes Melisandre
to the south after Davos tells him about Shereen. Unlike Melisandre, who felt Jon is the Promised Prince, the Red Priestesses in Essos started endorsing Dany as their Lord’s chosen this season and Melisandre has become broadminded about interpreting prophesies. As we know now, she travels south to find Dany & asks her to summon Jon Snow in order to bring Fire & Ice together.

Bran has a vision about Jon’s birth, revealing he is Lyanna Stark’s son, fathered by Rhaegar Targaryen. Ned only adopted him as a bastard for his own protection as all Targaryens were slaughtered after Roberts’s rebellion.

Dany breaks up with Daario she says she can’t take a lover with her, because “If I’m going to rule in Westeros, I’ll need to make alliances. The best way to make alliances is with marriage. Interesting foreshadowing considering, there’s only one suitor for a Queen left in Westeros.

Transition to King in the North & Dragon Queen in the south

The season ends with Jon addressing all the Lords of the North in the common room previously used for feasts, from his High Table, exactly how he used to govern at the Night’s Watch as the Lord Commander. When the Lords talk of returning home & waiting out the storm, after the victorious battle, Jon reestablishes his goals, which he gave up on earlier this season now that he’s in a position to gather a real army to fight the White Walkers. He uses Mance’s unification strategy one last time and tells them that the real enemy wouldn’t wait out the storm, he brings the storm and come winter, they will all die if the North doesn’t unite. As this was the reason Lyanna Mormont joined Jon’s fight, she declares him King in the North & everyone soon join in, swearing fealty to fight for him in wars to come.

Varys secures an alliance with the south, Dorne & Highgarden, to back Dany’s claim to the throne & provide her with remaining ships for her army to come to Westeros. Earlier while creating her alliance with Iron Islands, she too defines her goals as a Queen, “We will leave the world better than we found it.” The season ends as Dany sets sail for Westeros as the Dragon Queen in the South.

a.a.k
Cangel 'till the end
Cangel 'till the end

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   Ven 24 Aoû - 23:08

Citation :
Season 7 - The worlds collide - King in the North & Dragon Queen in the South

War Room Counsel - Forming Strategy

Jon addresses the representatives of the North from his High Table, with Davos & Sansa by his side, exactly like he used to govern as Lord Commander of the Night’s watch. He lays out his goals for the season:

• That every Maester in North works on finding Dragonglass which is more valuable than gold at the moment.
  • They begin training every man, woman & child in North as the entire North would still not be enough to fight the White Walkers.
  • As the Night’s Watch is dwindling in numbers, he requests the Wildlings to man Eastwatch by the sea, which is the closest castle on the wall to Hardhome, to act as first line of defence.
  • The castles of Umbers & Karstarks are closest to the wall & will be hit first in the North, so he makes peace with the houses as they know the lands best & the North can’t have political squabbles this winter. "I will not punish a son for his father’s sins, and I will not take a family home away from a family it has belonged to for centuries ” when asked to take their homes for Lord Umber & Lord Karstark’s treason, after they died in battle, which is essentially the punishment for treason.
  • Jon once again starts embodying the role of a leader more confidently when he concludes the meeting with, “That is my decision, and my decision is final.” To establish that he represents the North’s interests but he is their King.

Dany reaches Dragonstone, the seat of House Targaryen & her birthplace, which sits on a mountain of Dragonglass along with one of largest & fiercest armies in the world & three dragons, as a harbinger of summer & hope Westeros needs. Upon reaching, she goes straight to the war room, where she runs her fingers over Dorne, HighGargen, Castely Rock, the North & finally stands behind the North beyond the wall on the War Room table carved in the shape of Westeros’s map and says “Shall we begin?”, foreshadowing her shift of goals.

• First night at Dragonstone during the storm mirroring the storm on the day of her birth, she mentions that she expected a homecoming but it doesn’t feel like home, her subconscious lifelong desire after living without a home or family her entire life.
  • She soon takes a step back on her plans for the conquest as she doesn’t want to be the Queen of Ashes & cause more damage to an already war torn country for her ambition.
  • Tyrion lays down his plans for the conquest, all of which would be outsmarted by Cersei, costing Dany all her allies & destabilisation of the South.
  • Lady Olenna leaves the War council with what would be her last words to Dany, “You’re a Dragon, be a Dragon,” in response to her reluctant conquest.

Drift with Sansa/Tyrion - The two characters who pulled Jon & Dany to the Game of Thrones, slowly start drifting away from these two as they challenge every decision they make in favour of the internal war within Westeros & their vision of how it should be won, unlike Jon who only cares only about the war with the White Walkers & Dany who too abandons her conquest for the Iron Throne when she goes North to save Jon, a lot like she did when she first saw what slavery did to the world. Both feel like Jon & Dany are abandoning their cause when they leave the seat of their house to visit the other’s territory.

Tussle with the architects of this story - Varys/Littlefinger

The night of the storm, Dany has her first conversation with Varys & confronts him about his service to her father, Robert, his support for Viserys & the assassination attempt on her life. He tells her that his loyalty lies with the common people & the well being of the country, which is why he believes in her cause, to protect the oppressed from the rich & powerful. Dany tells him to come to her if he feels she’s failing the people, instead of backstabbing her like his former employers or she would burn him alive.

Littlefinger too approaches Jon for their first conversation before he leaves for Dragonstone, in front of Ned’s statue where he commends Jon for outliving all the Stark men despite being despised by Catelyn. He assures Jon that he’s an ally and he can be trusted, exactly like he did to Ned and Jon backs him up against the wall & strangles him exactly like Ned did when Littlefinger says he loves Jon’s sister just like he loved his mother. Jon walks away threatening to kill him if he touched his sister.

Call to the meeting

• Melisandre visits Dragonstone to inform Dany that she might have a part to play in Lord of Light’s Promised Prince prophesy, as does another. She asks her to invite Jon Snow, the first Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch to let Wildlings through their gates to protect them from the dangers beyond the Wall & the King in the North who united all the Northern Houses & the Wildling for the Great War. She asks Dany to hear from him what he’s seen beyond the Wall.
  • Tyrion advises that he knows Jon well and even though he doesn’t believe in prophesies, Jon would be a great ally as he has just as much reason to hate the Lannisters as Dany, for trying to destroy their houses. “Send a raven north. Tell Jon Snow that his queen invites him to come to Dragonstone… and bend the knee,” Dany decides.
  • Jon receives a raven to come bend the knee much like Cersei’s, which he dismisses at first but then Jon & Davos realise that Dany has a large army & fire breathing dragons, which is exactly what they need but Sansa advises her against it.
  • Sam’s raven informing him the Dragon Stone sits on a mountain of Dragonglass is the tipping point for Jon’s decision to leave. He knows convincing Dany is their only chance to survive winter & so he calls all the Northern Lords to inform them of his decision. “Daenerys is a queen. Only a king can convince her to help us.” He declares when advised against it.

Worlds Collide

It’s symbolic that the last two surviving Targaryens meet at Dragonstone, the ancestral seat of House Targaryen as one refuses to be the Queen of Ashes & the other wishes to ensure he’s not the King whose Kingdom was destroyed by the death winter brings. “I’ve brought Fire & Ice together,” Melisandre observes as his icy resolve and her dominating fire clash when she asks him to bend the knee & he doesn’t (My meta on their reasons: Bend the knee). Its like watching an unstoppable force meet an immovable object.

When Jon talks of the bad blood between their houses, he doesn’t expect her to accept that her father was an evil man & apologise for it. “I ask you not to judge a daughter by the sins of her father,” she gives him a glimpse at their mirroring souls by using his exact words.

“Together we will save this country from those who would destroy it,” she promises peace & prosperity for the Kingdom once their houses unite, foreshadowing their unified goals to fight the Night King when she witnesses the army of the dead, much like she abandoned her goals for the Iron Throne when she witnessed slavery in Essos.

Dany is the first person who doesn’t fall for Jon’s use of Mance’s strategy of warning her of the death & doom which awaits everyone and he’s the first to not get intimidated by her power & her dragons, while being respectful of her as a leader.

It’s iconic that Dany, who has been a Queen in some capacity since the beginning, greets him in a regal attire sitting on a throne, trying to convince him to support her claim to the throne & Jon, who has been a warrior since the beginning, acting as the protector of the realm, the unearned phrase every King’s title ends with, meets Dany clad in full armour as he tries to convince her to help him protect the realm from death beyond the Wall. It’s also iconic that he had to give up his weapons & she had to walk down from her throne to show him who she really is underneath the shell of a Targaryen. The worlds collide & the two appear in the same frame after six seasons of mirroring journeys. Thus commences the journey of these two finding their reflections in each other and come together in every way.

These two are pieces of a greater whole, two souls who’ve never belonged, Dany never finds a home no matter where she goes & Jon never had a sense of belonging to a family. Jon wants to protect the world from death & Dany wants to build a better world for the living. He lives by icy stoicism & she lives by fiery passion. He doesn’t want to rule, yet has unshakable resolve in his decisions, even when he’s called foolish like his father and she wants to rule, yet she takes a step back every time she’s reminded of her father’s madness, even when the diplomatic path ends up hurting her cause in the long run. She has perfected the art of embodying the role of a ruler, he despises it. He unites people, she inspires them. Yet their souls and journeys mirror each other at such a profound level that once these mirroring worlds of ice & fire collide, they are taken aback by what they see in the other. Only together can they save Westeros and heal the bleeding war torn country.

Note: I really enjoyed writing this so if any of you have any more ideas for me to analyse these two or the show, let me know. Since this was about their detailed journeys, it’s a monstrosity which took three weeks to research & write, so sorry about the length.

Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Les couples   

Les couples
Page 1 sur 1